ot: car insurance

Sorry if this is not the right place for this. I started my car insurance with churchill and was with them for 2 years. At the start of the 2nd year Churchill gave me a bonus year no claims. So entering my second year with churchill I had 2 years no claims on my policy.

When the time came to renew for the 3rd year I switched to Prudential . I told them I had 2 years no claims as I had only been driving for 2 years with Churchill.

Prudential have just refunded some of my premium because when they contacted Churchill for proof of my 2 years no claims... Churchill said I actually had 3 years no claims.

Does this sound correct? The 3rd year no claims was just a bonus from churchill . Can it be passed on in this way to another insurance company? I dont want to make a claim for Prudential to refuse to pay up by saying I only have 2 ACTUAL years no claims .

I phoned Prudential who said they can only go on the information they get from Churchill.

I phoned Churchill who said the 3rd year was a bonus but it can still be passed onto another insurance company because , in their words .."thats just the way it works"

Hope this makes sense !! Thanks for any advice given

>Sal
Reply to
sal

I had a similar experience with tesco some years back. They didn`t even tell me I had the extra no claims, it just got put onto the paperwork at renewal time and I went elsewhere with the extra year. Never had a problem with it.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

You have confirmation from both insurance companies.

You (or Prudential) have a piece of paper from Churchil "proving" you have 3 years no claims.

Prudential _gave you money_ based on that proof...

I'm not sure what more you want...

It's different, AIUI, if you get "named driver" no claims bonus from Direct Line -- they specifically state you can't transfer it to another insurance company, and I think that's a deliberate ploy to tie the named driver to Direct Line when they eventually get a policy of their own.

Reply to
David Taylor

David,

Unless the 'rules' have changed (and they probably have with some companies) "named" drivers were *never" allowed to accrue no claims bonuses that could be transferred when they eventually obtained insurance cover in their own right - only the policyholder could.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Well at this stage there wont be a problem . Prudential have notice from Churchill that I have 3 years no claims. They are not aware however that one of these years is a bonus from Churchill. So Prudential have just refunded me some of my premium because in their view I have 3 years no claims.

Surely if I make a claim then that is the time that Prudential will look deeper into all the information I have given them looking for a chance to wriggle out of paying up . Will they then say :"Hang on .. you only have 2 years no claims , not 3 ?"

It just seems strange to me that Churchill can give me this bonus year even when I have gone to the prudential meaning of course that the Prudential are even refunding money to me to honour this bonus year.

Reply to
sal

AFAIK the 'rules', and no-claims bonuses in their entirety, are purely marketing. The company can choose to do whatever they want, and other companies can choose whether to accept them or not.

It looks like in this case a lucky combination has been found. Don't question it...

Reply to
PCPaul

I'm amazed you can drive a car. If you do not like what the insurance company is saying, take out a new policy and don't tell them about your NCB. If you have the papers signed stating a NCB then what are you moaning about? One insurer will NOT contact another for proof, you need to do that or supply a letter to your new insurer - so what you are saying doesn't sound quite right. If you don't want the refund, give it back. Some people eh!

Reply to
Ian

Is the right answer.

Reply to
malc

Actually it seems one company WILL contact another for these details. I had a letter from prudential saying that they needed proof of my no claims. I called them up to check the documents I was sending were the ones they needed to see. The advisor told me not to bother & that he would do it on my behalf , which he obviously did. This isnt about the refund , who wouldnt want a refund? The whole issue is to prevent my insurance company refusing to pay out if I make a claim by jumping on the fact that I have a policy discounted by 3 years no claims when it should be 2 years.

Reply to
sal

Well if you've told them writing then you've disclosed all pertinent information and it'll be their problem. & as they've already checked they'll get the same answer if you make a clain.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That simply won't happen.

Reply to
Hooch

I thought NCB were a legal thing as such. I wanted to insure a second car in my name and was surprised at the time to find out that you can only use your NCB on a single car. After a couple of evenings of getting quotes I think you can only use a single years NCB on a single car. So if you have a couple of years, you can split them. Anyway... having no NCB made quotes ridiculous, I was getting £800 quotes on a T Reg Lupo. But after phoning around I found you could haggle a little bit with the call centre guys and they'd give you a couple of years NCB.

But by far the best example of a company doing what they liked with NCB was when one rep found that we might move three cars to them. She was suggesting that I could actually take NCB off my wife and use for my second car in my name to be driven by me, thereby reducing my quote. Because she was a woman, they'd give her bonus NCB to counter the ones she'd given me. After about an hour of messing around it still worked out more expensive than the company I went with.

Towards the end, the amount of messing around with NCB all companies did. I was left wondering if they were a legal concept or a marketing concept.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

They're a marketing & pricing concept. They always have been.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No.

Alternatively, find a decent insurer who'll give you a discount on a=20 second policy based on the NCB on the first.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor