OT - Excellent garage service

I took my Rover in to the garage today because it suddenly became hesitant and then brought up the EML, but that cleared itself after the running returned to normal. My little reader didn't show any actual fault codes, but several items were reported as questionable !

I have had increasing doubts about my local garage, though it's OK for MOTs and so having had good service from a Good Garage Scheme garage in Eastbourne, looked for one in Brighton, well Hove actually!

Well when the garage called up he ran through what he had noted. An A/C issue which is odd as I haven't got A/C. Then two further problems, one with the cat and another with the fuel. These matched perfectly what I had noted. He had then done an emissions test which was fine and also tested the fuel pressure, which was also OK. He added a cleaner to the fuel and gave it a road test. He cleared the faults saying he obviously didn't know how old they were and almost begged me to take it back in should the problem reoccur, when he would rescan it, in the hope of identifying the actual problem.

I have never, in 50 years of owning a car, ever had such a friendly and comprehensive explanation of what has been found and efforts made to verify the issues and all for the princely sum of £44.40! He has certainly gained one very satisfied customer, so should you not be able to DIY, here's a rec for Steve's Auto Repairs, HOVE and no I'm not related, but certainly elated.

Andy C

P.S. The taxi driver said !!! supermarket fuel is rubbish as I mentioned I had used them instead of my normal place on the last fill-up. Could that have accounted for the temporary eratic running?

P.P.S. If you do go there, don't expect anything flash because it's the exact opposite of flash, but then you're not paying for the decor.

Reply to
Andy Cap

So it is an issue then?

Reply to
Marzipam

They probably use the same ECU whether A/C is actually fitted or not, so it wouldn't be out of the question for it to get confused by a system that isn't really there. I don't know what model of Rover Andy has, but on mine (a 420Di) there is definitely some sort of connection between the A/C and ECU because I can feel an *increase* in torque at low revs with the A/C on, so it must be using an alternative fuel mapping that overcompensates.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Well, I suppose if the system is unable to register the fact, then yes ! ;-) I was expecting a little better than that.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thus spake Andy Cap ( snipped-for-privacy@trashmail.net) unto the assembled multitudes:

Hmmm, if my garage proprietor called me and said he'd found "an A/C issue" in a car that had no A/C, I'd be a teensy-weensy bit suspicious, no matter how friendly and comprehensive he was. Unless he meant he couldn't open the windows :-) It would be a bit like he'd said he'd changed the spark plugs on a diesel...

Apologies if wrong end of stick got :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

My money's on this being another "It's not got A/C, because it's got climate control" saga.

Reply to
Adrian

As Tony says, I'm sure it's simply the ECU being suitable for those with or without, so that's the issue ! I'd assumed it might be a bit more sophisticated.

I know what Andy means, that the proprietor might have recognised that fact, but I'd rather he was honest than give me bullshit and that's what I felt, that he was totally honest and willing to explain fully exactly what he'd done.

So far the car's running great. Any comments on the fact the fuel might have caused the intermittent hesitation for about ten minutes and brought up the EML?

Reply to
Andy Cap

I've got a similar garage local to me. Proper old school back street garage run by a father and son team. Father is the type that looks at a car and tells you what's wrong with it, son is very good at the electronics on cars, so between them they do pretty much anything. Good prices and trustworthy. I've got a standing agreement with them - if they spot a job that needs doing when they've got the car (including for a service) do it and I'll pay when I get the car. They've only ever done it once for a small job, but I trust them which is a nice thing these days.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan