OT How do I Tax a car on private sale now existing tax is void at point of sale?

Do I just leave the car (off road) with the person I've just paid a large amount of money to for a used car? Or is it down to a mobile phone call on the off chance I can get through to tax it? Is there a "best way"?

Reply to
jake

Just drive the damn thing home, then - when you get home - tax it online/ PO/phone/carrier pigeon using the V5C/2 doc ref.

Reply to
Adrian

Is the right answer.

People get so paranoid about this!

You can also tax online using the new keeper supplement... most of us have a smartphone these days, so this can be done at the point of purchase, too.

Reply to
SteveH

"Damn thing"? Do the DVLA have a supply of carrier pigeons? If so how do I go about getting them to send me one?

(your)

Except you eh! Perhaps some people prefer to do it correctly to try and avoid any Plod (et al) problems?

Eg this from somehere on the web:

"So I have bought a car today. According to Dvla at present its taxed until February. I tried to tax it myself before I drove it home. But couldn't as it says the vehicle is still taxed and won't let me go any further with the online purchase using my green slip reference number? I have just been told that the tax is honoured until the 32st October is this true? If not why won't it let me tax the car?"

ps October doesn't have 32 days in it so - free tax all 'round.

There are hundreds more paranoids' out there and whatever the situation it seems bar-room answers are the way forward.

Reply to
jake

That IS the right way.

Handbags-a-go-go...