OT: How do they get away with it?

Tonight I drove behind a Vauxhall Vetra on the M1 heading north and I could not read the number plate. Hell don't panic my eye sight is not that bad!

The number plate W472### was stretched from one end to another on a standard sized plate BUT the letters were only 30mm in height using a fine weight to the lettering.

Just how do they get away with it?

Reply to
dave F

dave F ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They've not been caught yet.

Give 'em time.

Reply to
Adrian

And what about the car with different registrations front and rear? That at the front agreeing with the licence disc, that at the rear with two digits transposed.

Took me several looks to be sure was correct! Clever... No, I'm not dislexic.

-- M Stewart

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Saw this on a new car at a dealers - was picked up at first service...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reminds me of my first job on leaving school back in 68. To fill in 6 months before going into the RAF I took a job working in a BMC garage parts department. One of my 'tasks' as the newbie was to make up car registration plates - mainly for the sales department. Made up one set to what I thought it said on the docket and they were fitted and the car departed. Got called into the office a few days later to be met by the boss, a copper and two rather irate gentlemen. Turned out I had misread a 3 for a 5 on the handwritten docket. Diligant copper was foot patroling the high street (shows how long ago it was) and happened to notice two cars parked nose to tail with the same registration.

I pretty well got away with it (apart from making new plates) being the fresh faced young thing I was. The sales manager and the mechanic who fitted them got a dressing down for not spotting it. Hats off to the copper though. We could do with a few like him nowadays.

Vin

Reply to
Vin

Wouldn't you rather he was out solving "real crimes" :-)

Reply to
adder

Well if you see multiple vehicles with the same number plate then that normally would imply a real crime, (having had a works van that had several clones made of it)

Reply to
DuncanWood

Hmm, that old chestnut. Where do you the draw the line? To be honest I'd much rather have the pikey twits who piss around with numberplates told off and checked out, as a front line defence. How many false reg cars are involved with crime? How much else of their car is glued-together shit?

And why is there a increase in people using pre-72 black plates on modern cars in the interest of "cool"? I drive a clapped out noisy piece of history to get the right to use these plates, and I don't see why some 1999 Audi owner should get the same benefit. I mean, he gets air con too! ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete

We are talking 1968 here. Real crime in the town, or at least the perception of it, was a lot less. I wouldn't bemoan the lack of a visible police presence on our streets nowadays if I believed they were actually away doing something. I think they have given up though. Not really surprising with the courts the way they are. Far easier to go after the normally law abiding person over some relatively minor misdemeanor than go after real crooks and thugs.

Vin

Reply to
Vin

my cousins saxo was caught doing 35 in scotlandshire somewhere tuesday before last the fact that it's been parked up outside his house in west london since he's been in iraq for the past several months has had us all scratching our heads what to do? desicions desicions

Reply to
dojj

dojj ( snipped-for-privacy@dojj1.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Erm...

Write back and say "No, sorry..."

Reply to
Adrian

i think we will wait a few days :)

Reply to
dojj

dojj wrote on Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:31:04 +0100:

I'm curious what you're waiting for?

The police are likely awaiting a reply to the NIP, so they're not going to turn round and say they've made a mistake.

Reply to
David Taylor

he;s in iraq the letter is addresed to him opening a letter addressed to someone else is a criminal offence, or something like that and besides, my granny is in hospital so there are even more extenuating circumstances :)

Reply to
dojj

incidentally it is the age of the car that permits these black plates not the age of the plate so these old plates on post 73' cars are unlawful too!

Reply to
jamie8

dojj ( snipped-for-privacy@dojj1.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd say you've got a pretty damn good reason to be opening his post, and I'm sure he asked you to, didn't he?

How much more extenuating than "the car hasn't moved" do you need? Assuming, of course, you're not making all this up?

Reply to
Adrian

well, no, we could always reseal it and send it on to him :)

some of you may recall his previous saxo being punted into a field by a "mate" of his who needed to get home he got it fixed, bought another one and then, about 3 months nto ownership, promptly had an altercation with one of them stripy balck and white furry bradger creatres the result was that his bumper, and radiator, and lower crossmember were suitably bent out of shape the car hasn't moved for at least the last 12 months because he bought it "new" when the 03 plates came out

there is no reason for me to make this up

i can even find out the place it happened if you wish

Reply to
dojj

dojj ( snipped-for-privacy@dojj1.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

I guess you have to plead guilty.

You are required to ID the driver. I can't see plod letting you off just because it's not your cousin and it's not his car! If it was that easy we'd all do it.

Let us know what happens!

Reply to
DannyBoy

we will :) from the start it's obvious that it's been cloned, but there is no whereon the letter to plead not guilty

Reply to
dojj