OT: Merc ML series quality

I was aware that owners of these cars appear not to be a happy bunch according to surveys by TG and the like. However, I only recently took the trouble to start examining MLs to see if there is any obvious external evidence of the supposedly poor build quality. I was actually shocked at how badly thrown together these things appear to be. On numerous examples that I have come across, the rear bumper is lop-sided (lower on one side than the other; usually the left) and it sticks out like a sore thumb when you look at the gap between the lower part of the light unit and the bumper itself. Also, the tailgates are invariably a poor fit such that the panel gap will be a tight pinch on one side and a veritable canyon on the other. Had I seen such things on just one car, I would think it had been in a bump and not fixed correctly, but this is lots of them. What I am left wondering is: who parts with money for a car in such poor shape? Do they not examine them at the dealer before accepting the goods?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh ( snipped-for-privacy@sheffield.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You do know where they're built, don't you?

Reply to
Adrian

Fact is, the ML is not really a Merc, it's built for them in the States by ?Chrysler? Anyway the poor build quality caused a big ruckus between them and Merc, who should have stuck to building their own vehicles of course.

Merc build quality in general has fallen over the last decade. Their MPVs are built in their van factories, with van build quality. Hmm. And their cars are just not as good as they used to be. Just one reason why I consciously bought a good _older_ model instead! I now have another W124 estate, which many consider to be the last "real" Merc (though some even say even that's not quite up to it and claim the crown for the W123). I now expect my E220 to last me for a _long_ time.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

AIUI, it's a Merc plant, not a Chrysler plant - but, yes, it's built by rednecks - Tuscaloosa county, Alabama.

Ever *been* to Alabama...?

Reply to
Adrian

Your observation is correct. "While attention focused on fixing Chrysler's operations and integrating the technical and engineering work behind two vastly different brands and businesses, Mercedes itself slipped badly...."

Lin Chung

Take a look at the reliability table here, halfway down the page:

boatful of surprises, won't you say?

Reply to
Lin Chung

You can say anything with statistics, but it's not good for GM whichever way you take it! For example it's not clear how the "reliability" was determined - it refers to "consumer reports", but does that mean it's rated by consumers, or by objective breakdown statistics? My point is that if you pay more for a vehicle you tend to have a higher expectation of it, which would explain Jag being down there. But with any interpretation, it's good for Toyota, of which I've always been a fan. The first car I kept for any length of time was a Toyota and I've had eight more since, which means 18% of the cars I've ever owned have been Toyotas - if I worked it out on time of ownership that figure would be even higher - I rarely keep a car much more than two years, yet all but two of my Toyotas have lived with us for longer than that - our current Previa has just had its 5th anniversary (in typical car style, it celebrated by splitting its radiator :-(

Reply to
Chris Bolus

But, beware. I have a fairly strong suspicion that had buzzing and rattling (from cabin fittings, not from the engine) been included in the 'reliability' statistic, Toyota would not have scored that highly. Of all the cars I have ever had, the only model that this 'feature' is a Toyota! In my case, though the noise is not loud and is also not constant, the exact sources are untraceable (after many frustrating attempts!), and I have resigned to bracing myself for this thankfully intermittent, at times mind numbing irritation.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Part of the Previa dash is inclined to do so. Like you, I've failed to fix it and decided to live with it. On the old LandCruiser there was usually something that could rattle along in harmony with the "truck" engine, but that's the nature of the vehicle. Never had it on the others.

Reply to
Chris Bolus