OT: Re-registering Private Plate

Hi

I am sure someone here has had some experience of the situation I have.

My current car has a private registration plate. I have purchased a new car= =20 which I take delivery of on 22nd of February. I wish to transfer the plate= =20 to the new car. I am donating the old car to a relative who obviously needs= =20 the car to be re-registered to allow them to insure it. This is further=20 complicated though as the car is due to be taxed before the 1st March (the= =20 day they are due to take ownership). Also the car has one of the new=20 computerised MOT certificates which will need to be re-issued with the new= =20 registration which will allow them to tax it. My new car when the=20 registration change goes through will also have to have a new tax disc=20 issued.

Does the DVLA do all of what I need when I apply transfer of the=20 registration and pay my =C2=A380 and if so how long does the process normal= ly=20 take? If I start the process on the 22nd February is the transaction likely= =20 to be through for the 1st of March?

Thanks in advance

Jim

--=20

Jim Mason

I am sure someone here has had some experience of the situation I have.

My current car has a private registration plate. I have purchased a new car which I take delivery of on 22nd of February. I wish to transfer the plate to the new car. I am donating the old car to a relative who obviously needs the car to be re-registered to allow them to insure it. This is further complicated though as the car is due to be taxed before the 1st March (the day they are due to take ownership). Also the car has one of the new computerised MOT certificates which will need to be re-issued with the new registration which will allow them to tax it. My new car when the registration change goes through will also have to have a new tax disc issued.

Does the DVLA do all of what I need when I apply transfer of the registration and pay my £80 and if so how long does the process normally take? If I start the process on the 22nd February is the transaction likely to be through for the 1st of March?

Take all your paper work for both cars, including tax discs, to your local DVLA office, they will do the transfer there and then, and issue new/endorse old, documents as required.

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks for that Simon. It sounds too simple to be true. Is there a grace=20 period to allow you to get home if you driver either car to the DVLA centre= =20 or do the new plates have to be fitted to allow you to drive home?

Jim

--=20

Jim Mason

Thanks for that Simon. It sounds too simple to be true. Is there a grace period to allow you to get home if you driver either car to the DVLA centre or do the new plates have to be fitted to allow you to drive home?

Jim

Reply to
Colin

I already have and that is why I am asking here.

BTW why don't you configure your newsreader - it appears to be faulty. It doesn't take much effort to fix it. Do you need a clue?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

I bought my present car from a dealer at 2 years old, traded in the old one, and wanted the reg transferred. They got it all done in 4 days including tax disc for the 'new' car. The old car ended up with its original reg number.

Being Wimbledon, it's possible they went to the local DLVA office so no post delays.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that helpful explanation Dave.

I'll be using my local DVLA office in person for all parts of the the process so hopefully it might all be done on the spot.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Jim Mason ( snipped-for-privacy@spamtrappedukonline.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're buying a brand new car off a dealer, let the dealer have the hassle.

Reply to
Adrian

Chances are the dealer has already registered the car, if it is being delivered in 2 days.

Reply to
SimonJ

Firstly it isn't a brand new car - it is a year old. Secondly the problem is the car I am giving away to a relative that has the private plate on it

- but from the helpful replies I have had to my query it would appear to be a simple process.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

It isn't a new car (it is a new car for me) it is 1 year old so already has a registration.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Did you put the personal plate on the old car? If so, did you keep the old plates? Chances are it will get its original number back...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personal plate is on the old car - ditched the old plates :-(

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Jim Mason ( snipped-for-privacy@spamtrappedukonline.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, OK. But even so - if it's coming from the trade, let them have the hassle.

Trust me - you want to find any way possible not to waste a day at a DVLA local office.

Reply to
Adrian

But it isn't the car I am buying that is the problem - it is the car which I already have and I am giving away (NOT trading in) that has to be re- registerd before I can release the car.

This would appear to be unavoidable.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mason

Jim Mason ( snipped-for-privacy@spamtrappedukonline.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, but you forget something - it has to be re-registered before they can put the plate off it onto your new-to-you car...

Otherwise you'll end up with two cars on the same plate...

Reply to
Adrian

I did a similar thing ! sold car A and wanted to keep reg, bought car B which had a personal plate which the owner wanted on car C, and I wanted my plate on car B, took all the paperwork into the DVLA in Edinburgh with all V5's MOT's insurance docs and and money! and it was done very efficiently and without hassle! and my broker gave me a cover note marked for 'tax only' because car A wasn't insured or taxed, but the buyer had given me the money to tax it. The guy at the DVLA wasn't even fazed. You will probably get reissued with the car's original plates, as that has happened with all my changes. it's usefull to hold onto the plates when you change.

Des

Reply to
Des

They did it there and then too?

Ffs, I took mine all the way to Luton office last week, simple case of plate from car A onto car B, both with tax, ticket etc and they just took the all the paperwork and documents off me and said itll be through the post in about 5 days. Its now 6 days later and of course no documentation has arrived.

I didnt think to ask why It couldnt be done there and then- I'm going to give them a phone tomorrow now, grrrr.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

What is a "private registration plate"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

snip

They did all the checking, I got all my docs back, but IIRC the actual transfer paperwork came in the post 2 or 3 days later, it certainly was quick, I then got a survey from the DVLA asking me to say how efficient (or not) they had been. that may have had something to do with the speed Mind you if you go early enough to Edinburgh, you can get parked and cut an hour off the queue and try and avoid the last week or so of the month (especially before 06 reg!) as the car salesmen will be right round the building!!

Des

Reply to
Des