OT: Roller Shutter Remote Control

Hi

At my workplace we have a car park with a roller shutter door opened by remote control. The company is not able to provide me a remote, which means I have to risk a parking ticket every morning by parking outside on double yellows and walking round to open the door manually with the switch inside the car park.

A few weeks ago I saw a universal "learning" RF car park remote control for £6 on ebay which can be programmed with an existing remote.

For love nor money, I can't find this any more and am running out of ideas. I know the company provided remotes are supplied pre-programmed at vast cost.

Does anyone know if it is likely a cheapo chinese unit is likely to work? If it would help I can try to find out the manufacturer of the shutter but it is fairly old so presume it just works by RF.

If the above sounds possible can anyone recommend a supplier. Willing to spend a few quid but not too much in case it doesn't work.

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Tom

Well if my domestic roller shutter door remote is anything to go off, (14 years old) the remote and the control unit fitted to the door change their codes after each use so the transmission code is harder to crack / duplicate.. I hope a £6 unit would not duplicate the code even if tried on purpose. Next time you see it on eBay, add it to your watched list asap. :-)

Gio

Reply to
Gio

It happens that Tom formulated :

It would probably work OK with a static code type, but modern RF remotes use a rolling code - where the code changes at each press. Because the code changes unpredictably, there is no way for your new remote to be able to present it with the correct code. Your best bet might be to find the manufacture of the original unit, rather than trying to buy one off the original installer and hopefully get some instructions for enabling a new remote into it too.

Failing that, most controllers are designed to have a manual remote wired in, could a key operated system be used?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks for the explanation - turns out mine is an old RF receiver with a static code. Found a cheap and nasty generic one on ebay for a fiver! Bargain

Cheers

Reply to
Tom