[ot] selling/moving a SORN car

Hi,

Not exactly about maintenance but about cars, so I hope this is not too far off topic; apologies if it is.

An elderly relative has had to stop driving for medical reasons and doesn't want strangers coming to look at the car at their house, so has asked us to sell it for them. For our convenience, it would be best if we could move the car to our house, so that buyers can come and view/test drive here.

The problem is moving it: the tax has expired. If we put 6 months tax on, we could drive it to our house. Is this worth doing because would a taxed car be more desirable to a buyer?

If not, what other options are there? I don't think it would be worth our while having it professionally recovered would it? (It will be a twenty miles-ish trip) Would it be worth considering towing it ourselves? I presume a SORN car can be towed? If so, is it allowed to have the engine on to give power steering and brakes?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

A T+T'd car is always more desirable than one without tax or test. If it still has a MOT, then I would defintiely get it taxed.

Legally, no it cannot be towed when Sorn'd. Trailer only, or , I supect, one of the trailers which lift the 2 front wheels. In real life, if a short distance, with no cameras around, then it may be worth the risk of moving it while SORN'd. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Sadly, ITYF that a SORNed vehicle cannot be legally towed.

If the vehicle is legal in every other respect, why not tax it, drive it, then hand the tax in. That way,it will only cost you a month's tax. Far cheaper than having it recovered.

I would advertise it as close to the first of the month, and move it the same day. If you find a buyer within that month, factor the outstanding tax into any price negotiations.

If it remains unsold near the end of the month, cash the tax in.

Whether having current tax on the vehicle contributes to its saleability depends to some extent on the sale value of the vehicle; a really low value car would perhaps be slightly more desirable with tax, with something more expensive it won't make much difference.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

My understanding is that no part of the vehicle can be in contact with the road if it is SORNed, so towing with a dolly would be equally illegal.

Perhaps not, as an elderly relative, who will still be the registered keeper, would also be liable to prosecution.

If it's a mid-band tax rate vehicle, it's only going to cost £175/12 = £14.58 to tax it for a month.

I know what I would do!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Fred gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends what it is, and your attitude to the hassle. If it's a reasonably new and valuable car, and you really don't need the grief, it'll be well worth swallowing a small hit on the value and getting a trader to buy it

- they can collect it on trade plates.

Otherwise, yes, tax (which, of course, means MOT & insurance) will not only allow you to move it, but it'll make it much easier to sell.

If any of the towed car's wheels are on the road, it must be legal.

Reply to
Adrian

If it is found at another address then both driver and keeper will be prosecuted. That's if the car is not towed away by Police first.

Reply to
IanT

"IanT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Complete and utter bollocks. I've got several cars on SORN. None of them are stored at the registered address. All are perfectly legit.

Reply to
Adrian

you would be best to put a one year tax on it, either add it to the sale price or cash it in when it is sold (one year rather than six months to avoid the punitive 10 per cent charge for a short term tax disc.)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Assuming it's not the other end of the country. Firstly, and MOST importantly make sure you have cover to drive the car (and take evidence with you especially if using DOC cover).

What you could then do is pre-book an MOT for the car somewhere just further on from your place (because the car doesn't have one or you've lost it). Tax (or MOT) isn't required to drive a car to a pre-booked MOT. It's really then up to you whether actually turn up, but 12mnth s MOT will add to value significantly. If you intend to piss a garage around then I suggest Q***K F** as they probably deserve it.

Reply to
jimzzr

PMFBI, but I'm curious. Why DO people store so many cars, for so long? Surely they mostly lose value?

Near here there are dozens of garage compounds and several SORN'd cars. There are two Sorn'd L reg citroens in one, (One was last taxed in 2004, one 2007) one V reg Tigra that's been there for at least 2 years outside another. Flat tyres, weed growing around them... they just get in the way, I really don't understand the logic in keeping them.

Oh well, each to their own.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I asked here first before I got into trouble.

I made the mistake of thinking that an untaxed car could not use the road under its own power. I really thought it would be ok to tow it with its engine off since it would be pulled by a taxed engine. I was uncertain what would happen if I started the engine in the towed car to use its power steering and brakes and that's why I posted. I would like to think there is some common sense and logic to my argument but it seems the law is much more draconian.

I do think it is silly not to allow cars to be towed, especially if two of the wheels are lifted but the "or" in "sorn" does mean "off road" so I realise you are all right. We will get some tax but we'll wait for the start of March first, as someone else advised. This is the best way because it will allow test drives and hopefully make the car a more attractive buy.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

Mike Barnard gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Of the four SORNed I've got, one is merely off the road and untaxed over winter (and of huge sentimental value to 'erself), one is currently MOTd but not insured through indolence (and takes up virtually zero space, being the same physical size as a bicycle), whilst the other two are long- term projects - and both unique in the UK.

Reply to
Adrian

And don't forget the insurance aspect seeing as you ( or someone) is going to be driving it

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

It was IanT , complete and utter bollcks is the Tiscali idiots stock in trade.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

what car's that?

or maybe it's a really big bicycle you have in mind?

Reply to
GB

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I've lost track of his morphing.

Reply to
Adrian

"GB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a VeloSlowlex. The other Slowlex is not UK-reg yet. Nor's the other van.

Reply to
Adrian

Apart from my daily hack, every car I've had has GAINED in value.

If you're only using a car for 6 months of the year, such as a classic car, WTF is the point in paying for 12 months road tax when 6 of those will be spent in a garage?

Reply to
Conor

because it is cheaper to get a full year tax and cash in the unused months

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Six quid.

Reply to
Adrian