OT (slightly) How many kinds of Ford Transit are there???

Just been trying to get insurance for a friend on an R-reg Ford Transit 2.5 diesel panel van. When it comes to "trim" it gives a list of about 50 different kinds! Type 120, 150, 190, 230, 8 etc etc with subcategories of each!

Reply to
Hooch

The variables include wheelbase, height, rear axle type, weight capacity, body style, front or rear wheel drive, engine power; the list is almost endless. When you then realise that each model can have a different level of trim I think you will find that 50 is a really conservative estimate!

The information you need will be on the registration document. Alternatively, many insurers can find the details from the registration number now.

If all else fails, it may be worth asking here:

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Many thanks. One of the insurers managed to retrieve the data from the reg number, so we're all set. The online quote systems I tried didn't recognise it

Reply to
Hooch

I did hear once (I think on Top Gear) that there was something like 2 million variations.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

The type refers to the basic configuration, and can be found on the build plate (inside the n/s/f door above the step). Of the top of my head, a 120 is a standard short wheel base panel van, 190 is a twin wheel chassis cab (MWB IIRC), a 150 is a highroof panel van, and if it's got an L after is, it's along wheelbase. Then on top of the basic configuration, you've got the trim level, different engines (4 and 6 cyl petrols, plus the 2.5Di diesels, in either Normally aspirated, low blow trubo (still had a throttle cable), or high power (EPIC pump using fly-by-wire)), different axle ratios, different axles.....the list goes on somewhat. And that was only for the old '95 transits! The Transit 2k has even more options.

Reply to
moray

According to Richard Hammond there's 13 million different combos...

Reply to
Tony Bond

Pre or post accident?

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The ABI have 399 codes for Transits on their Vehicle Make and Model list for Light Commercial Vehicles.

these, 141 models are what you would consider 'current' models. I really must get out more.

Reply to
OG

Amazing.

If anyone's interested in insuring a van, I got the best quote by far from quotelinedirect.co.uk : £452 p.a. TP/F/Th in London for someone with zero NCB!

Reply to
Hooch

A lot. Enough that Glass' used to get stumped by the odd one where I used to work. As in not on the database at all. Theoretically it is something like

2m combinations, but to get to that you'd most likely be saying that one with a cupholder is different to one without, IYSWIM.
Reply to
Doki