Over filled oil on Astra diesel - advice? (2023 Update)

Hi all,

My son bought a ten year old Astra diesel estate for a few hundred quid a couple of weeks ago. Last night he over filled the oil, and after running a while it stopped, but when he tried to restart it (I think) the engine did nothing but the starter motor wouldn't stop. He disconnected the battery, and has left it over night.

The plan is to drain out some oil, reconnect the battery and see if the car runs (wildly optimistic?).

My only advice was "You need to get some advice." as I have very little knowledge.

Can anybody suggest the best course of action?

Cheers, and happy bank holiday. :)

Reply to
Angus

Having the correct amount of oil can't do any harm. So it might be worth draining some out - may be easier said than done. Perhaps drain it all out and refill correctly?

However having too much oil is unlikely to have caused the problems you describe.

Best he gets competent advice ....

Reply to
Graham J

What sort of overfill quantity are we talking here?

The usual problem caused by grossly overfilling a diesel is that it can then run on its lubricant, and be incapable of being stopped. The usual result is total engine destruction.

It's hard to see what effect the overfill would have that would cause the starter motor to run continuously.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

had this happen myself, the vans 10 years old the ignition switch is probably well worn probably find the return mechanism is on the way out or full of crap.

Try turning the key back a little after starting

Reply to
steve robinson

Thanks guys,

We had a go this morning. Ended up losing all the original oil, so refilled very cautiously. There's a reddy-orangey plastic bit on the end of the dipstick, and even in broad daylight we couldn't tell with any certainty what it was reading.

Anyway, we reconected the battery and rocked the car back and forth in second which I gather can free-up a starting motor(?). When he tried the engine it started and was running fine as of 10 minutes ago.

We are watching things cautiously and hopefully when the oil is a bit less clean it will be easier to gauge the level.

I suspect we may have got hold of the wrong end of the tree trunk on a couple of issues, and the "turning the key back a bit" info will be filed. :)

Cheers.

Reply to
Angus

I did this once on an Escort. The mechanic simply drained the excess off cleaned the plugs and it was fine.

Reply to
Gerald
[...]

Whole different ball game with a diesel however...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Bit less clean on a 10 year old Diesel? Be totally black by, oooh, about now.

Reply to
Scott M

There's videos of this happening on You Tube with people standing round looking helpless until the engine blows.

Presumably you should be able to stall the engine by putting it in high gear, standing on the brakes, and letting up the clutch.

Reply to
newshound

Unless it's an automatic.

Reply to
Dave Baker
[...]

Depends on how powerful it is versus how old the clutch is.

Standard VW workshop training is to try to throw water down the air intake, and if that's not possible evacuate the workshop.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I know nowt about engines but why wouldn't shutting the air intake off stop a runaway diesel?

Reply to
Gerald

Very fair point. But air intakes are not as obvious or as accessible as they used to be. I must have a look to see where mine is!

Reply to
newshound

Remember - a diesel is normally regulated not by regulating the air, but by regulating the fuel. If (especially a turbo) is "running away", with an unregulated fuel supply available, then it's going to be sucking pretty damn hard at that intake. You approach that with a handful of rag and good intentions, you are _very_ likely to be injured. And that's assuming you aren't sticking your hand somewhere down in the gubbins next to a hot exhaust and whoozhing belts. And assuming it doesn't go POP spectacularly whilst you're doing it.

Fuck. That. For. A. Game. Of. Soldiers. I'd rather replace an engine (or even a shiteoldwheezel) than a hand.

Reply to
Adrian

And if you can't find it, they've hidden it - on a Saab 9-3 I was fettling today, the intake appears to be at the top of the O/S wheel arch on top of the liner...

Reply to
Scott M

Same place as it was on proper 900s.

Reply to
Adrian

I wonder whether discharging a Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher as close as possible to the air intake would work?

Reply to
MrWeld
[...]

Indeed. Hence the 'VW' advice of throw water at the intake, then hide.

Apart from the risks you mention, a diesel in a runaway state may well grenade.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Heh. Handbrake operated the rears though by the feel of it (assuming the

900 was one of the FW handbrake ones.)
Reply to
Scott M

Both of mine were rear hb ones... And, yep, all the dull OpelSaabs are rear hb.

Reply to
Adrian