Overheating Saxo

I've recently bought a 2000 Saxo (1.1 engine) which has been fine for a week. My brother went out in it today for a coupke of hours and came back saying the temperature warning light was on. The car's been sat on the driveway all afternoon and the light hasn't gone off yet so there's obviously something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause or a solution other than take it to the garage?

On Friday I checked the oil and the coolant and they were both ok (if a little high). The only way I could see the coolant level though was to take the lid off and look in the top because the plastic reservoir was so grubby and I had trouble getting the cap back on. I got it back to how it was by pushing it down and twisting past the stops so it was on really tight - does anyone know if this was correct?

TIA peter

Reply to
newsaddress

If it hasn't gone off after two hours then check it's actually the temp light then check the wire to the sensor hasn't fallen off.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Last time I saw a cooked engine it was due to the owner topping up the coolant and not putting the top back on the resevoir. It did less than 5 miles before it blew out the gaskets (although this was at motorway speeds). I've never come across a coolant resevoir top that didn't screw on gently to hand tight.

What you say about putting the cap back on has me wondering about whether you managed to cross thread it and fail to seal it or maybe cracked it. If there's been no pressure in the coolant system then all bets are off.

I'd check that you have compression on all the cylinders, replace the cap and maybe the plastic resevoir too. If you haven't done anything too severe then it'll be a cooked sensor.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Thanks for advice. I've just checked the coolant and it's still at the same level as on Friday so none has leaked. I've also worked out the reservoir cap and it was secured properly.

My dad reversed it into a suitable place out of the way yesterday (with the light still on) and nothing went bang but this morning the engine won't even turn over and seems to be cutting itself out. The battery is ok because when you turn the ignition off the fan comes on again! Looks like its something to do with the sensor or the water pump.

peter

Reply to
naked_draughtsman

The light itself goes off when the ignition is off, but is permanently lit when the engine is running.

I couldn't see any loose wires under the bonnet but I didn't know what I was looking for (now runs out to buy Haynes manual)

peter

Reply to
naked_draughtsman