P reg Mondeo Speedo Failure

My P reg Mondeo diesel estate was running along nicely at 80 ish yesterday when the speedo suddenly failed. Just dropped straight from

80 to the stop in a moment. I've looked in the haynes manual which suggests the cable enters below the scuttle in by the wiper motor but I've taken the scuttle off and there's nothing there. The haynes I have is up to N so I guess they've moved it! Does anyone have any idea where the damn thing is?? Also is it electrical or mechanical and any idea what the problem is most likely to be?? Any clue would be a help - at the moment I've spent most of the morning getting precisely nowhere! My girlfriend's taking her test next week so I could do with getting it fixed so she can get some practice in!! Many thanks Ian

--

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Assuming it's electronic, the most likely cause is a failed sensor in the gearbox. Should be easy enough to change it, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Dave - I have to confess (with some shame!) that I'm still struggling to FIND the bugger! Apparently P reg was just about when they changed from a cable to electronic - so it could be either - and I'm still looking for it! I'll let you know what I find!! Cheers Ian

Reply to
Ian Wilson

Found it at last (I think!) - about 20 feet down in the engine - easy to reach if you've got long strong rubber arms! Ho Hum - looks seized up & nasty anyway so hopefully it's the culprit. Off to Motor City tommorrow for a replacement! Cheers Ian

Reply to
Ian Wilson

I had the same problem a few years ago with my R reg Mondeo.

- My local Ford dealer replaced the actual speedo itself (the new odometer read 0 miles, and they refused to adjust it)

My symptoms were that it would intermittently drop to 0 mph, after a while it would spring back into life. When it sprang back into life, the petrol low light would come on for a few seconds.

- a word of warning. - I didn't realise, that when the speedo wasn't working, the petrol gauge stuck as well. I was driving home one night down the A3, and the car spluttered and stopped. - I'd run out of petrol, despite the gauge showing it was half full.

Reply to
Chris Howard