Painting plastic parts?

Hi,

I have an external part that is a grey/silver plastic and I want to paint it black..

I know that many have tried painting bumpers etc and after a short time the paint cracks and peels..

Is there a correct procedure to preparing and painting plastic parts? What are the recommended paints etc?

Thanks

Reply to
WipeOut

Providing it has been primed, sprayed and laquered correctly there shouldn't be a problem.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-man

A very profound reply. I would never have thaught of that. :-)

I think it's usual to add a plasticiser to the mix when painting plastic parts that might be subject to flexing. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Can you not buy a tin of something made up to do the job already? I would like to paint the roof rails on my Peugeot 406 estate, as the current paint has flaked off and turned light grey.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Sounds like like the ideal sort of job for an aerosol. Something like that probably doesn't require a plasticiser. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You could try something like 'back to black'. I've never used it, it's a lot quicker and cheaper! You may find that paint is better in the long term though.

Actually, my AutoGlym tar remover seems to remove the greyness from my bumper :o. All my plastics seem to look new after using it. When I get chance I'm gonna wipe my bumper strip to make it go black again. I haven't used the stuff much though, in the short term it seems to be good though.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

About 13 years ago I renovated a late Talbot Alpine with a friend (bought for £225 at 123,000 miles, sold two years later at 150,000 miles for £175 - bargain motoring!) part of that included spraying a damaged bumper after filling it. I bought an aerosol of paint specifically for plastic parts from B&S Motor Spares (they were a South/Mid Wales chain - now gone.) It cost about £6 then and it may have been made by Hycote if I recall correctly. There was a choice of colours, and it stayed intact over the two years he ran the car.

Reply to
Doctor D