Painting question..

Hi,

A question for those who know about painting..

I am painting a rear mudguard of my Dad's 1980 Honda CB400T.. I cleaned up the rust, filled it, put down two coats of primer and 3 coats of colour and sanded with 600 grit wet paper between each coat..

I am now going to finish with 2 coats of clear lacquer but wanted to know if I still need to sand the final colour coat before putting down the clear and do I need to sand between the clear coats??

Thanks..

Reply to
WipeOut

If it is a solid colour then careful flatting is great, but if it is metallic then leave it alone, likewise the clear coats. (since metallic particles will be standing up through the first few coats of clear)

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, glad I decided to make sure.. It is a metallic so I will leave it now and just put down 2 or 3 coats of clear..

Reply to
WipeOut

I've only used Halford's metallic aerosols, and with that you flat the final colour coat with 1200, then spray two coats of clear without rubbing down. Got a very good result - although it was only a door handle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't leave too long between the final colour coat and the clear, or between the coats of clear, you are not keying the surface you are spraying on, so you'll want the coats to adhere to each other. If the coat below is too dry you may get flaking later.

-- r

Thanks for the advise, problem is my painting intervals are determined by the weather, I have to wait till it gets warm enough before I can lay down the next coat.. :(

Reply to
WipeOut

Yes - there were specific instructions about this on the tins.

I must admit I was surprised how good the results were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)