Passat Heater Problem

Hi

My 2000 Passat with Climatronic (1.9tdi PD 115) has developed a new problem with the heater.

When I start it up I hear a slow clicking noise from behind the glovebox for about 10 seconds. It also occurs when the car slows to below about 5mph. Its a real PITA in traffic.

If I press the recirc button it makes a fast clicking noise for as long as it is in recirc. I also think the heating is stuck in recirc as the car steams up after I park it up.

I presume all this is the recirc flap controller at the back of the heater. The question is how easy is it to get to? From what I have read it means removing the dashboard to get to the heater. Can it be done without doing this?

Also if I can't do this myself what sort of money are we talking about.

Any help appreciated its starting to become really annoying.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

Hi Paul,

Same thing happened to my 03 Passat 2.0 petrol estate with Climatronic. It was the heater flap control (positioning motor?) that was going wrong. Fortunately, the car was still under warranty, and the local VW stealership had it for two days, as they had to take the dash out. Did a good job, though, as no new rattles appeared, and they put the CD and radio back in the right slots rather than the wrong way round as they had been from new. From what I picked up, the job would be very difficult to DIY, as all the electronics on the instrument panel would need to be disconnected, and therefore re-set when reassembling. However, others on the NG may have better wisdom.

HTH

David.

Reply to
David Chamberlin

I found a thread on Passat world forums.

I got to the flap from the pollen filter side and found it would still try to move even when the climate control is switched off. I could move it in position by pulling it whilst the actuator tried to move it with the ignition switched on. It feels like something on the control actuator has gone. The flap has 'made in France' printed on it in big white letters! make what you will of that.

From what I have picked up the best solution is to cut the wire that controls it from under the glovebox. It stops the noise but I will not have recirc control.

Seems like the cheapest solution. I am not prepared to spend hundreds on a relativly minor issue.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards