Peoguet 106 diesel hard to cold start.

Hi all,

I've been having a bit of trouble cold starting my car. In the warm its fine.

I took all the glow plugs out and tested them this morning. I used some jump-leads to put power though them. Seems I have two good glow plugs, one of the others gets sort of warm, but doesn't really glow, and one is duff.

The resistence through the good ones is very low, maybe 1 ohm, is that ok? The warm one is about 2ohms - the duff one has infinite resistance.

What I did notice was, when I put a meter on the 12v line to the GPs, the current stay on a lot longer than the light on the dashboard. I will try to leave the power on longer before I turn the car over.

But the car is still hard to start - should I replace the other GPs?

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

Yes

About to die

Yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ok cheers - I'll pop over the German and Swedish and get a couple this afternoon.

Reply to
Hiram

I think that's normal on newer diesels. It helps to cut emissions whilst the engine is cold. The dashboard light is just an indication of when you can start the engine. As others have said, replace the duff plugs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Do all 4 they'll all die in the near future.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Added to the fact they cost next to nowt and you've already got them out so might as well.

Reply to
Conor

To be honest, due to how old the cars is, I may only keep it until the MOT runs out in May. I just need to keep going a a bit longer.

I've just put the two new ones in, hopefully it will start better now.

One question - I did the job straight away when I got home form the car spares place, the engine was still hot - should I re-tighten the GPs a bit later, or will be ok like that?

TIA

Reply to
Hiram

6,84 + vat
Reply to
Hiram

Should be fine, if anything they'll stick

Reply to
Duncan Wood