Performance Mondeo?

Having been out of the country until a few years ago, and having bought a good used car from a friend on my return, I now need to look for a 'new' replacement used car, as that one is now getting to its End of Life. I have seen some averts. for Performance Titanium Mondeos, with

220 bhp engines. Are they any good, or to be avoided due to complexity and/or cost of parts, or are they just like any Mondeo? And is the Titanium moniker just a trim level?

Looking for an estate car or large hatchback, petrol, decent performance, and I have up to £6,000 to spend, and am starting to look around to see what's available at that price. I'm not a Ford man, but this sounded interesting.

Reply to
Davey

It will be large, and have decent performance.

It will also be fairly uncomfortable with hard suspension and low profile tyres, and quite expensive to run in terms of fuel, insurance, and maintenance.

If you can accept those compromises, give one a test drive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, both you and pastedavid say essentially the same thing. I am not in the market for low profile tyres and hard suspension, they do not go well with the local potholes around here. And I don't need high maintenance costs, that would be one of the things that I would go for a Ford to avoid.

Thanks, I think I'll remove this from my list.

Movin' on...

Reply to
Davey
[...]

It doesn't mean you should rule out any Mondeo however. It just depends on your personal definition of decent performance.

OOI, what do you drive now?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Don't low profile tyres and hard suspension tend to go with the sportier models?

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, but I did not know to what extent this went on this particular car. The fact that it was mentioned specifically by the first two responders indicates that it it might be significant.

Reply to
Davey

Currently driving a Renault Laguna Estate, with a 3 litre engine. Good performance, normal tyre aspect ratio. I will even look for a similar, but more recent, model, as it is a fine car, for us, but is now getting auto gearbox faults, and they are not getting better on their own. I got this car as it was for sale by a friend of ours, at the time when I needed a car, and it has done us very well indeed.

Reply to
Davey

They do tend to with Fords, etc. You could get an older Merc or BMW with similar performance that isn't made for boy racers, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Davey escribió:

It makes for a sporty, but harsh ride. Given that UK roads aren't getting any better, you might want to give that a swerve, especially if you have back problems.

I had a R53 (BMW) Mini with the low-profile tyres and while great fun to drive and throw around corners, driving over a dead gnat makes itself felt.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I don't have a bad back, but my wife does, so that rules it out. I don't need a 'sporty, fast-cornering' performer, but I like to have some oomph for those odd overtaking manoeuvres, especially when there is a weekend driver in front, who has no idea that it is legal to pass a slower vehicle. My Renault has the right performance, but they didn't make a follow-up version that would now be in my target range.

Reply to
Davey

As I said, performance versions of basic cars usually do come with the massive wheels and bolted down suspension. It's apparently what the market wants.

Go for a better maker who does a vehicle with the same sort of performance but comfort too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

Though not at the same cost, of course. Unless Alchemy does really work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Or older and or with higher miles. With a budget of 6 grand, there's quite a bit of choice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is why I ordered my 5 series in 'luxury' trim - smaller wheels, comfortable suspension, but the same performance as the 'MSport'.

Reply to
SteveH