petrol in a diesel

I have a 2004 Mercedes 220 which has a fuel tank with a capacity of about 85 litres (it's supposd to run on diesel). Due to someone frigging around at the station yesterday (not me), that fuel tank now has about 76 litres of diesel in it and about 9 litres of regular unleaded. I understand that the diesel fuel is heavier and should remain on the bottom whilst the regular unleaded is lighter and will float to the top. The out-take thingy is near the bottom of the tank and in theory will always draw the fuel at the bottom of the tank, ie, the diesel. As a matter of habit, I almost always keep at least half a tank of fuel in the car and I suppose that means that the regular unleaded will always stay at the top and never get used.

As I don't want to drive to a Mercedes dealership and pay full whack for a perhaps unnecessary draining of the tank, I am wondering my best course of action here. Should I let the tank go close to empty in the hope that the regular unleaded is diluted enough and won't make a problem or should I just always keep the tank at least half full and therefore never get to the regular unleaded anyway as it will always stay at the top of the tank? Any other suggestions? (it's a company car and I don't want them thinking I'm any more of a prat that they presently think I am!!!). Thanks all in advance.

Reply to
frisbee

9 litres? Not even two gallons. Not worth even bothering about.
Reply to
gazzafield

That would be the case if they were immiscible, but they're not - it'll all just mix up. So just ignore it - there's probably insufficient petrol to cause a problem. I'd be filling it up say after 1/4 tank though rather than

1/2 to minimise the time spent running with that mix.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from "frisbee" contains these words:

Sorry, but the turbulence of the inrushing fuel will have mixed the two quite thoroughly. They are very miscible.

Reply to
Guy King

snip rest of bullshit

Never go to a dealer for a fuel drain a, they will charge you a fortune for the privilage and b, if anything in the future goes faulty on the injection system they will blame it on the Petrol!! bang goes warranty.... don't even mention you have done it.

That's bullshit petrol and diesel will mix quite happily, infact the older (non cdi) diesels it said in the handbook 12.5% petrol (1 in 8) IIRC for improving starting in very cold weather. I have owned 123 and 124 diesels. If you are concerned take it down to 3/4 and then fill up with diesel this will dilute it even more.

you're a prat ;~)

But you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last!!

We do about 2 a week fuel drains usually petrol in diesel, but last week had a diesel in petrol, they must have worked really hard to get the diesel nozzle in the small unleaded hole!! infact two on Saturday!! both diesel in petrol!!

Des

Reply to
Des

Yes, me dad did that a few years back. Phones me up "I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I've just filled the car up with diesel." "But Dad, your car runs on petrol..." "Yes I know, that's why I'm ringing, how do I get it out?" And a mate filled his XM in the same way, somehow forgot he wasn't driving a Sierra diesel any more (???). In both cases my LandCruiser benefitted from free drained-off fuel!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Methinks you are taking the piss.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

No, piss definately will sink to the bottom.

Reply to
Ian Stirling