Petrol in diesel tank

I've just done this crazy thing. Filled my diesel Mondeo with petrol!!! I noticed part of the way through, so the tank has about 30 litres of petrol and 20 litres diesel. I drove it back and it didn't seem to notice the wrong fuel, but I turned the engine off and coasted as much as possible to avoid pump wear.

Any ideas as to the best course of action, other than cutting my throat?

I've seem some advice along the lines of put engine oil in the tank to add lubricant until the next fill, but how do you mix engine oil with diesel/petrol that's already in the tank?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Yeah whatever. You can't write English.

Reply to
Malc

Or think coherently come to that.

Reply to
deadmail

Being an old fart and getting older by the minute :o) I've done this twice on different cars and my remedy was to top up with diesel when they required a gallon or so until I was on full diesel again. I did drive with a very light throttle whilst there was petrol in the tank.

On the Passat the mix was about 2/3 petrol to 1/3 diesel and it ran as rough as hell until the mix improved, was also a pig to start. The car went on to do 350k before it left my hands, used no oil to speak of and only had the injectors changed in it's life with me.

Perhaps a pint of light oil may have been prudent.

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

If you've got to much in it can be a bugger to get it to start, easiest solution is just siphon half of it out with one of those £3 siphon pumps & fill up with diesel.

Reply to
DuncanWood