Petrol prices.

The rising fuel prices are a pain in the neck. Every week they seem to go up a little bit, so I take notice of petrol station prices every time I pass them. I had to laugh when I passed a Texaco and Esso just opposite of each other on the road into Uxbridge. Texaco unleaded: 99.9p and Esso 94.9p. The general prices in the area were 93.9p-95.9p (today).

Reply to
Johannes

So go organise a protest then.

Reply to
Conor

A demonstration outside the Saudi embassy?

Reply to
Mark W

Still plenty of wankers tearing about the streets, tailgating and roaring away from the lights.

Petrol's obviously still not *that* expensive as to affect the way people drive!

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

It can't be that far off when the new craze of filling up and driving off without paying becomes widespread. Might be an ideal time to setup business selling number plates mailorder - for novelty purpose only!

Reply to
John

Johannes writes

I believe that large sums are being spent on updating pumps with indicators which show prices above £1. Most only go up to 99.9p. :-)

Reply to
Gordon

The message from "Matt F" contains these words:

UL has yet to reach 90p at Tescos in Telford tonight.

Reply to
Guy King

Traffics no lighter either!

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Dave Griffs writes

The 4x4 off-roader school runs have started again round here. 8-(

Reply to
Gordon

i dont know why they cant adopt the policy you pay for your fuel before you get it .

Reply to
reg

Could be worse, In America there is a big outrage on the brew. some people r paying $3.50/usGallon!!!!!! .............amounts to bout 50p a litre

Reply to
sQuick

reg ( snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.fsten.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Who ever knows how much they're going to put in?

"Hello, I'm going to put £50 in".

"Oops, it only took £40. Can I have my tenner back?"

- or - "It's taken £60."

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "reg" contains these words:

Some do at certain times of day. Or, more importantly, night.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Me, for a start, except on the rare occasions when I actually "fill up". Otherwise I just stick £20 at a time in.

Simple - you say you want £20 worth and hand 'em £20. They then authorise that pump to dispense up to £20. If you fail to reach that, you get change.

Reply to
Guy King

A better solution is to do what is often done in France. The exit from the pumps is controlled by a manned barrier. After filling, you drive to the barrier and pay at the booth, like a manned exit car park.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I suspect you're an exception. I *always* fill, and never know exactly how much it's going to take - especially if I'm swapping between cars, or driving one that's new to me.

Reply to
Adrian

That would start with 100.9p :-) I thought it might be opportunistic for Texaco to charge 99.9p when nearby stations charge far less.

Reply to
Johannes

A journo must have read this thread LOL!

Johannes

It's something that is commonplace in areas with high rates of drive offs.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Had to put some fuel in my car today and stopped for a while to watch how other people did it. I'd say most chose a value and filled to it. There were five people in the queue in front of me three of whom had neat round amounts - a tenner and two twenties.

Reply to
Guy King