Petrol - where's it all gone

Just been round Kingston upon Thames, and found no filling stations with any petrol.

Plenty of diesel, just no petrol.

Managed to get a tankful in Sunbury.

When I spoke to the guy behind the counter, he said there was a tanker driver strike.

I smell something fishy here - are the protests actually on, but the media being restricted??

Reply to
xscope

According to the haulage industry no there aren't protests, it's most lightly a c*ck-up in the predictive ordering system or just a delay in getting fuel at one chain. The place I normally fill up with is forever running out of petrol because they were 2p/l cheaper than 100 yards up the road, what happens when one place runs out is it pushes up the load on the remaining local garages. Now as petrol prices are often more volatile than the substance it's self garages tend not to like to hold large stocks.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes - I think you are right.

Looks like there's plenty of petrol in other areas, just not around Kingston right now.

Reply to
xscope

You had best get used to shortages! A Petrol station can only hold X amount of fuel and as so many have closed there will always be a shortage when demand is high, my friend gave up fuel last year as he could buy it cheaper at Tesco's than he could by the tanker load.

Reply to
Fred

and when Tescos have no competition they don't sell it so cheap any more!! "Fred"

Reply to
jervil p

Local Tesco Express out of fuel too - delivery expected tomorrow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Tesco Express" being the reason, they are normally smaller stations with less capacity . There tanks need to be less than a third full before they can take a full delivery, so when it's busy they like most small stations run out.

Reply to
Fred

Fred run out.

Is the wrong answer.

Do you even have the slightest clue as to how much fuel an 'Express' supermarket site can sell in a week?

Reply to
SteveH

In article , Fred small stations run out.

It's built on the site of a previous filling station. It has more pumps than most locally so I can't really see why they'd have skimped on tank size. It also sells *much* more petrol than any other local station.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Being supplied directly by Esso, with Esso fuel rather than Tesco fuel logistics may also have something to do with it.

Reply to
Doctor D

Ahh that explains the shortage then.

Reply to
Fred

On 2007-12-30, Fred

Reply to
David Taylor

There were reports in european news about some kind of distribution protests, I think in Italy but don't know if it was more widespread than that.

Reply to
adder1969