Peugeot 106 fuel gauge

I have a 98 Peugeot 106 which I have just bought to run backwards and forwards to work.

The fuel gauge doesn't work - I'd like to see if I can fix it.

Where should I start my fault finding?

I've have had a look at the fuses, can't see anything wrong. I assume the tank sender will be ok, could it be a broken wire from the tank?

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
Hiram

Why do you assume the tank sender is OK? Because it's the hardest part to change? :-)

IME, because the sender contains parts that are in constant motion all the time the car is moving, it is the most likely point of failure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah, I was being a tad optimistic... :)

Not sure I can get to it - but if I was to use a multimeter, I could I see a measurable resistance across the senders terminals that would presumable change with the level fuel.

Reply to
Hiram

As I now have to work out the mileage/ fuel consumption on the trip meter.

What sort of fuel consumption would I get round town - I was thinking

50mpg?

I put in 16L yesterday, that should take me 180 miles?

Reply to
Hiram

I don't know the 106 specifically, but I've yet to see one that isn't just a potentiometer controlled by a float.

For older cars, it was usual to test that everything other than the sender by disconnecting the sender, looking at the gauge, then connecting the wire that goes to the sender to earth and rechecking the gauge. The two different conditions should force the gauge to the upper and lower limits of its reading. If it did, you could assume that everything except the sender is OK.

Warning! I don't know if it is OK to do this on a 106. Wait until someone else is along to confirm before you try it!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I would suggest that is a tad optimistic! Is it a petrol or diesel? Depending on the traffic you could be looking at 25 mpg or less

Reply to
Abo

Meant to add... You might as well just brim the tank and then fill it up at the end of the week, or every couple of days depending on how long your commute is. You're just going to use the same amount of fuel regardless of how you do it. Just make a 5 minute stop at the garage every couple of days or whatever part of your commute and you won't run out.

Reply to
Abo

Its a diesel.

Reply to
Hiram

Yeah, that is a good thought.

Reply to
Hiram

I'm going to see how easy it is to get to to get to the fuel tank. If I can get to the terminals on the tank, I will put a multimeter across it and see what resistance there is.

That=92s is a good idea about testing the checking the gauge.

Reply to
Hiram

I'm going to see how easy it is to get to to get to the fuel tank. If I can get to the terminals on the tank, I will put a multimeter across it and see what resistance there is.

That?s is a good idea about testing the checking the gauge.

I had a 95 Citroen AX 1.5D and the sender wiring was under the reat seat. Removing the seat base allowed easy access to it. (I know yours is a 106, but they share a large number of parts and may be worth a look.)

Reply to
Doctor D

Cheers for the tip, I'll have a look tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Hiram

Same here. I've had a couple where the float has actually filled with fuel and sank, which makes it look like the tank is empty..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P