peugeot 106 max unrubbing wheel size

I have the old 205 1.6gti 14 inch alloys on my 106 (they came with it and extra wheels were readily available and cheap - although at 28lbs were 7 more than the standard wheel tyre combo).

I was wanting to put on the maximum tyre size that would fit to increase the ground clearance slightly, and reduce the gearing (the car is used mainly on long journeys to eastern europe where the roads are fairly straight, but not very well upkept, and mainly with just two of us in the car).

It came with 165/65/14 tyres originally, but i got four 185/60/14s with wheels from a breaker to get it through its MOT last year. These reduced the mudflaps grounding a little, but rub in the rear arches somewhere. I thought it would be the additional width, but placed on

6mm spacers which made no difference.

I am not much bothered with width - but does anyone know the largest tyre height (widthxprofile) that would fit - keeping the same size on front and rear and still permit 5 people and some bags to be carried on the rare times it happens?

Reply to
ayt

In news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

IIRC they were originally fitted with 185/55/14s.

best thing to do would be to roll the wheelarches out a bit. That's where they catch.

Thing is, with the car full it'll still catch. 205s with big wheels always seem to.

Reply to
Pete M

( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You'd be far better off with steel wheels, then, I'd think?

If the potholes are that bad that ground clearance becomes an issue, then the fact that steels can just be battered round again where alloys will crack is going to be of value.

Reply to
Adrian

Well if you've got clearance problems with 185/60R14 rubber, and the stock rubber is 165/65R14 (only very slightly smaller) then you have very little room to play.

You need to be getting a set of 13" rims from a ghetto-spec 205, and sticking some bigger rubbber on. If you want more tyre, then you need less wheel !

Reply to
Nom

The message from Adrian contains these words:

My brother used to live in Argentina where it's part of regular car driving experience to stop at the garage and get the dings hammered out of the wheels which in normal use rapidly start to look like threepenny bits.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds like get a bigger car time

Reply to