Peugeot 306 1.9D Outer CV Joint Boot

I've just noticed that the left-hand outer CV joint boot on my 1993 306 has split, throwing grease all around the rear of the hub.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the outer boot on a 306 without removing the driveshaft from the car, and hence avoiding draining the transmission oil.

Without removing the driveshaft I can see two options:

  1. Cut the boot off and attempt to remove the outer part of the outer joint whilst hoping that the inner joint's splines stay in the transmission.

  1. Cut the boot off and attempt to fit a universal stretch boot using the special stretch cones that are available.

Has anyone had any success with either of the above methods on a 306 or should I just not be lazy and remove the whole driveshaft from the car?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

yes its possible to do it by leaving the drive shaft in situ, from memory though i cant remember if they have a knock off joint or not ?

we only use these stretch ones if we cant knock the outer joint off the driveshaft.

Reply to
reg

just an add on don't use those split boot kits you can get that you glue together, they are crap. we've had a couple come through the workshop lately after the customer has fitted it & the things have just come unglued and sprayed all their grease everywhere & they have ended up having the job done properly.

Reply to
reg

On my car, according the HBOL, the outer section of the outer joint is held in place by a circlip so in theory it should be possible to remove the outer section with the driveshaft in place. However I'm not too sure how much force would be required to remove the outer part of the joint and whether I would just end up knocking the shaft out of the transmission.

Is there a reason that you don't use the stretch boots, or is it that you prefer to use the original parts if possible?

They sound like dreadful things. I haven't seen them but I'll definitely avoid them!

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

the reason we don't use the stretch ones very often is they seem to made of a thinner rubber and more prone to debris damage, they don't seem as tough, but that's only a personal preference.

the joint shouldn't take too much to knock it off, I usually use a plastic dum dum hammer to avoid any damage to the joint housing or a brass drift if I need to hit a bit harder, get someone to hold the shaft for you while you hit it with the hammer. it should also tap on quite easy, but be careful when you hit the end of the joint when re-fitting, its a good idea to put the shaft nut back on , saves any damage to the thread.

Reply to
reg