Peugeot 306 1998 Central locking problem

Peugeot 306 1998/S 1.4l petrol.

Problem with the central locking - locking the drivers door (by key, or pressing the button down from inside) does not lock the rest of the doors, just the drivers door. Unlocking from the drivers door does unlock ALL doors. Key fob locks/unlocks ALL doors. Passenger door locks/unlocks ALL doors.

From this I've figured out that there's probably a problem with the signal from the drivers door lock to the central locking system which informs it that the door has been locked. The unlock signal from drivers lock and from central locking system is unaffected.

Dismantled the drivers door and checked the wiring. Lock IS providing correct switching for locking/unlocking - so its either the wiring or the cental locking processor itself. I don't have the wiring diagram for the door connector (the one at the hinge) so I can't work out which wires are which to find out whether the problem is with the wiring in the door, or from the hinge to the central unit.

The Haynes manual states I need to remove the drivers seat to get to the central locking processor (not something I'm going to do too soon!) - so being able to confirm if the wiring in the door is okay would be useful.

Does anyone have details of the pin-out of the door connector? Any other suggestions (including an idea of the cost that Peugeot will charge to fix this kind of thing). We have 1 remote fob and 1 normal key (with transponder). Depending on the cost, it may be cheaper to just get a 2nd remote fob (less than £100 I believe) - though of course, its still a fault.

Incidentally, I doubt central locking is on the MOT checklist?

Any suggestions about where the fault is? I'm wondering if its in the door wiring connector as the drivers door gets openened the most, and if a wire has broken etc with all the movements. I'd imagine that this wiring would be a pain to get to and replace.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

If you've had access to the switch, you'd surely be able to see the wiring colours of the loom it goes into - and therefore at the multiplug at the main loom end?

However, I'd feel inclined to check it right through to the controller.

Removing a seat is usually pretty easy - if this even is needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I've managed to see the colour of the offending wire - but I don't have visual access to the rear of the multiplug in the door. I can just about see the terminals from the front part of the connector (door doesn't open wide enough to get a great view) but obviously you can't see the colours on that part. Knowing the pin-out I could just check continuity and confirm it isn't in the door (which is probably the easiest part to re-wire, if it was necessary).

As for removing the seat, its just not something I've done before, and would need to remove quite a bit of trim so I can lift the carpet to get access to the controller...

Thanks for the advice though. :)

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The trim ahead of the door jam is usually fairly easy to remove, and the multiplug should be behind that.

Seats usually have very visible fixings. Slide it fully forward for the rear ones, and back for the front ones. They might be under some clip on cover.

They're only general comments - I've not worked on your actual model.

But a fairly straightforward fault to find - you've had the sense not to simply guess it's the switch and replace it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More than likely a break in the loom from the door to the body. Citroens continuously cause problems here, so I presume the setup on Peugeot is simular. Pull back the rubber boot between the door and the body and physically check all wires.

John

Reply to
John Egan

It doesn't have a rubber boot, rather a twist lock connector which has a corrugated plastic cover. I don't think I can pull it back - however I'll make sure I have another look to confirm. Certainly confirms my suspicions.

Thanks

David

John Egan wrote:

Reply to
David Hearn

Well, I'm only familiar with Citroen which also has the twist connector, but the corrugated bit is rubber and will come off the connector.

Reply to
John Egan