Peugeot 306, 1998/S, fuel filter removal

(also posted in alt.autos.peugeot - meant to cross post - apologies for separate threads!)

I've been wanting to change the fuel filter on our 306 but have been having some difficulty.

A while back I'd read up on the procedure in the Haynes manual and picked up a new fuel filter a while back from Halfrauds. The manual said to remove the crimped connectors put on by Peugeot and replace them with hose clips. The filter I have just has a pipe front and back where the hose pushes on and is then secured with a hose clip. Sounds okay so far.

However, after actually looking at my current fuel filter I've discovered that it has quick release style clips each end - ie. push 'buttons' on the side in, and it should then allow the connector to be pulled off the filter. I tried disconnecting the quick release clips, but couldn't get very far - just couldn't press both sides adequately with where it was at the time.

This says to me that the filter must have quick release connectors on the end. I've no idea whether true Peugeot filters have these on them, or whether the connectors can be removed from the filter and swapped.

Finally, as it has fuel injection, the fuel line is pressurised with a pump in the tank. Do I need to depressurise the system before disconnecting the fuel filter? I do hear something like the pump depressurising/whirring a short while after getting out the car (or a long while if I just sit in the car after turning off the ignition).

Okay, finally this time! I assume I need to do something to clamp off the hoses when I've disconnected the filter? Would a hose clip each side of the filter suffice, or is there something more appropriate to use. I understand the issue with clamping the hose with flat faced claps as it can damage the hose.

Thanks for your help, the car has just passed 101,000 miles, and it's not been replaced since at least 58,000 miles, possibly longer (it really looks caked in stuff - almost like underseal!) I want to get the filter replaced ASAP, it's well overdue!

David Hearn