Peugeot 306 Misfiring

Hi,

I've got a problem with my 1994 306 1.6 (injection) misfiring. I've only had it a couple of months and it's always misfired at between

40-50mph doing about 2000-2500 revs. However, this was always a very gentle misfire so I've been lazy and not got it sorted.

Today it has started misfiring quite badly at low speeds as well. It seems to be a bit intermittant, sometimes it's worse than others but not done too many miles since it started.

It also doesn't always tick over at a constant speed - i.e. sometimes I stop and it's ticking over at 1000, then the next time I stop it's down to 800 then back up again. Seems to be totally random.

Have also experienced it cutting out several times today, I dip the clutch and it just dies. Never any problems starting it up.

I'm planning to clean and gap the plugs tomorrow, have a look at the air cleaner and try a different set of leads. If it's of relevance I had a look at a plug the other week and it's got a white deposit on it, is it running too weak?

Even with my crap knowledge of cars I suspect if it's not plugs, cleaner or leads it could be the ECU.

Has anyone got any suggestions for anything else I could look at myself.

Thanks a lot for any answers.

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

This is pretty common on the 1.6 Pug, its a faulty coil pack, which you will need to replace.

Unfortunately, if left for any amount of time, the ECU can become damaged.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Cheers Tim.

Had a look this morning and come to the conclusion the third cylinder is not firing at all. Mate of mine (ex mechanic) reckons it is probably the valve.

Is probably not worth paying out to get it fixed, been quoted £250 and the car only cost £400 :(

Anybody any other opinions as to anything else it might be. I had a look at the plugs and 1 + 2 had a white deposit on whereas the third one (the dodgy cylinder) looked fairly healthy.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom