peugeot 406 alternator belt tension

Please someone help I am trying to replace the alternator belt on my peugeot 406 (1998) 2l turbo petrol with air-con and the replacement belt is loose. Is there a belt tensioner and if so where abouts is it? The alternator appears to be fixed as does the power steering pump.

Reply to
Rob

the tensioner is one of the wheels, it is spring loaded, the belt has to follow a very particular route, the tensioner must be held in the slack position with a spanner while the belt is fitted. the belt goes straight (clockwise)from the top (power steering) toward the aircon, then continues around the crankshaft, then underneath the tensioner, to the left of the generator, to the right of the pulley above then you are back to the power steering.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks so much, ended up that the tensioner had broken so had to take it in to the garage after all.

Reply to
Rob