Peugeot 406 sump cover

Hi all,

first post on this site so I hope you can help. I recently had the sum cover/splash guard on my 406 fall to bits. The cars done 150k miles an I'm sure that the covers had alot of oil sitting on it so not suprise it's probably abit rotten. I've contacted several breakers and none o them seem to have one. I'm starting to wonder whether this is an vita part of kit on the car, so long as I don't drive the sump into a spee hump? If this is an important part can anyone advise me of where I ca get one, the dealer being my last port of call due to cost. Any help greatly received. Thanks folks, Gile

-- gilesbest

Reply to
gilesbest

I think you'll find they are more splash guards than anything else. They maybe help the airflow under the car, but as far as protecting the sump from being damaged by hitting something solid, I don't think they offer much protection. If any. I don't think they're vital at all. I'd be surprised if it affected the cars running, although it might allow the engine to get wetter than it should when driving through a flood or deep standing water. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for your help Mike. The car doesn't appear to be running an

differently in terms of fuel consumption, so as you say it probabl won't affect the car in that way much. I won't worry too much abou finding a replacement! Cheers,

Gile

-- gilesbest

Reply to
gilesbest

gilesbest ( snipped-for-privacy@autobanter.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you're meaning the plasticky cover underneath, it's purely for airflow and drive-by sound reduction.

Not all had 'em on even from new.

It's certainly not "structural", and it certainly won't protect the sump from impact.

Reply to
Adrian

I agree. The purpose of the splashguard is primarily for directing air flow. Without it, the entire base of the engine compartment being open to the road, air stream flows in from underneath the bumper at the front and out at the back by the base of the bulkhead. With a splashguard in place, the now much smaller opening forces air current to move (Venturi effect while the car is moving) in one direction only: entry from the top of the engine and exit at the base. Air from the top is cleaner (and with less water spray in wet weather) than air from below, from the road. Furthermore, this air current has a higher velocity augmenting the radiator fan cooling.

These beneficial effects are not essential for the proper functioning of the engine. All the cars I have had before have never known a splashguad. I do notice my current car engine bay is undeniably much cleaner.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Thanks everyone. Very helpful and reassuring

-- gilesbest

Reply to
gilesbest

If I owned the car, my reaction to this would be to watch the temperature gauge when it gets warmer - especially if the car's got an older (i.e. non HDi) diesel engine.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon