Peugeot expert van - oil leak

I recently bought a used 2001 expert van with the 1.9 DW8 engine. Unfortunately I didn't spot (damn!) the oil leak coming from the alternator side of the engine, somewhere behind the covers over where the cambelt is, dripping down to emerge from below the left hand side of the engine. I can see part of what looks like the toothed wheel at the end of the camshaft and it looks clean, so at a guess it could be the crankshaft seal that has gone. The mileage is indicated as 26000, so could be it was off road for some time. I bought some new oil as it needs changing by the look of it, and some Wynns stop leak. Before I waste time putting this stuff in (I understand it will only work if the seals have shrunk rather than been damaged) I thought I would post and see if anyone has an opinion either way - eg 'just get it fixed' or 'try it and see'.

I'm guessing the fixing option means cambelt off, and hopefully removal and replacement of seal with engine in situ; so cambelt replacement at the least (=A3200 or so?), and whatever labour and parts cost on top (=A3100?)? Would'nt feel confident enough tackling it myself.

Thanks.

Reply to
seabreeze

NEVER EVER EVER USE STOP LEAK.

Stop leak is what you shove in engines the day before it goes to auction or you stick it on ebay. You certainly don't shove it in anything you want to keep for any length of time.

Whip the cambelt cover off and have a proper look. TBH, I'd expect the camshaft pulleys to be clean even if the seals were leaking as it dribbles down the block.

If its not using much oil, just leave it be.

Reply to
Conor

as the other reply said, whip the damn belt cover off and look,

if it is an oil seal, get it replaced whilst your replacing the cam belt, unless you have definate proof it has already been changed, most people seem to think cam belts need changing on mileage intervals only, they also have a

6 year time interval, as they are rubber and will perish after 6 years, even sooner if oil is allowed to get on them.

just search the archives of this group to read posts saying 'cam belt snapped and wrecked engine, but it's only done 20k miles over 8 years, why did it do that.. oh and where can i get a replacement engine for less than 2 grand from'

Reply to
gazz