Peugeot HDI engine query

Hi all, I've got a 307 (go on get the jokes over with first) and was changing the air filter at the weekend. Couldn't get the top of the airbox off because the jubilee clip at the top of the intercooler was in the way. I took the jubillee clip off what I'm guessing is the air output (maybe input dunno which way the air flows through it) from the intercooler and pulled the pipe off to flip the jubilee clip around so that I don't have the same trouble in the future.

When the air pipe came off the top of the intercooler there was quite a bit of oil coating the inside of the pipe, so much that it was dripping out! It was also coating the inside the intercooler and I'm guessing the rest of the intake system, well almost certainly the rest of the high pressure side. Yes I know the intake systems are rareley spotlessly clean but this looks like it has been continuously bathed in an oil mist. The inside of the pipework just after the airflow sensor (immediatley at the exit of the airbox) was also showing a few spots of oil.

Is this to be expected or is it a sign that the oil seal on the turbo is shot?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I would expect a moist oily coating at any point after the turbo, but not dripping with oil.

Check your turbo and more likely, your pcv system for which is leaking excessive oil into the inlet tract.

Are you topping the oil up frequently??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Thanks Tim,

It hasn't used that much oil, only gone down halfway between the low and high marks on the dipstick over the 4 months/4k miles that I've had the car for (now on 47k) so I don't really know what normal oil consumption is like for this engine. The only other diesel that I've owned and driven was a Renault 1.9DCi lump in a LagunaII that never consumed more than half it's oil between each 18k mile service interval.

I can't even see the turbo let alone check it as it's buried at the back of the engine hard up against the firewall I think but two weeks ago the car was at the dealer for a safety recall on the power steering pump and they said the turbo was whistling, don't they all?

The pcv, is that the short 2" breather tube from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold? If so I'm sure that is after the intercooler so that can't be the source of the oil.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Doesnt sound excessive at all. HDi's do use alittle bit.

Some whistle alittle even whilst the engine is idling, just depends on each engine. As long as its boosting properly, and not exhibing any nasty noises or other running problems it's fine. Note the 90's tend to whistle more than the 110's (with i/c)

Usually the PCV is plumbed before the turbo as if it were after you'd have the turbo pressurizing the sump which would blow the seals out in short order- suggest you have a nother look!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks, that's what I thought too. Shouldn't need to top up between services but I do check it regularly: about once a fortnight.

Nope no nasty noises just a turbine whistle/whine and the associated pull as it winds up.

Ok, now I've had a look in daylight, I was mistaken, it actually goes underneath the intercooler outlet hose and into the low pressure air hose just after the air flow sensor.

So what does PCV stand for? Pollution control valve? If so shouldn't there be some kind of vacuum pipe attached to control it or does it work on a pressure difference like a one way valve, it just looks like a piece of rubber tubing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation. On a diesel there is usually no valves though the diameter of the pipe / hose nipple arrangement limits the amount of gas that can pass.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)