Peugeot - please help!! I put unleaded in diesel! Need advice

I did something really, really stupid and really would appreciate some feedback to help me sleep through the night!! I am borrowing my aunt's Peugeot W Reg 406 (I think) diesel and added about 70% unleaded to the tank and drove it about 3 miles. It was spluttering this morning till I realised my mistake! It is in the garage now and they are looking at it tomorrow - they looked really grim-faced when I explained!!

Is there any hope that the car will be okay?? Garage are draining the tank and re-filling with diesel. They say they are suprised it has kept going so long!!

Please reply with your advice or know-how, I am so nervous :(

Thank you so much...

:( x

Reply to
bugbear

It'll be OK. It happens a lot nowadays.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

o dear, scrap value maybe.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

bugbear ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is it an HDi? Or is it the older-style 2.1 or 1.9?

Reply to
Adrian

If it's a common-rail diesel, the repairs, if done as recommended by the manufacturer, would easily exceed the value of the car. In that case you might as well keep driving it and hope nothing bad happens.

Older diesels, especially the IDI kind with low injection pressures, can tolerate quite a lot of petrol in the mix.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Not if it's hdi engine. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Why do so many people do this? READ THE FILLER CAP! Christ on a bike, it's pretty bloody obvious it's a diesel what with the clattering noise and the turbo lag, why not check before you fill it? Anyway, if it's an HDi then it's screwed as the petrol acts as a solvent and causes the high pressure pump to overheat as unfortunately petrol does not lubricate at all like diesel. New pump? £1000. Hope you got a good credit limit or a forgiving aunt :)

Hellraiser..............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

ser..............>

I was just thinking that, I get bored reading the weekly /petrol in diesel/ posts here !

Diesel is the horrid smelly stuff from the black nozzle !!

( touch wood I never make that mistake !)

Reply to
mr p

Let's give them a break. It's easy to criticise, but it's a thing which is very easily done nowadays, with multiple pumps, and many people driving both petrol and diesel vehicles. A moment's inattention, or as in the case of one I did recently, someone doing an elderly neighbour a favour, and there you go.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Or if someone has mixed up the nozzles on the pumps as I've been tempted to do on a couple of occasions.

Reply to
Malc

shazzbat ( snipped-for-privacy@spamlessness.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I have to admit - I had a lift in a newish Merc E-class the other day, probably in it for half an hour, there and back.

It was only when I walked round the back of it to cross the road on returning that I saw the badge and noticed it was an E270CDi. You could not tell it was a diseasel from inside. Impressed, I was.

Reply to
Adrian

But isn't the colour a giveaway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, for those who observe what they're doing. If you just grabbed the nozzle in the diesel slot however....

Reply to
Malc

A neighbour has a new 535d BMW auto which I've driven. Impressed isn't the word. If I'd have been told a few years ago that a diesel could leave just about everything you're likely to come across going backwards, *and* not waken the dead when starting or idling I'd have laughed...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you think the old i5 270CDi engine is good, try the new V6 320. Very quiet even from cold (270 cold is definitely a diesel!)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Indeed - the 535d has to be one of the best cars in the world just now - power, space, refinement and economy in good balance. I like it better than the E class (although the E's gearbox seems nicer and the control layout is a bit more conventional).

On the smaller ones though the choice between C320 and BMW330 diesels is harder - I think I'd go mercedes on that one, though oddly I'd rather have a BMW 320 than a C220...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I tend to look at the nozzle as opposed to the slot TBH.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Actually, it may have been a 320. I just noticed "CDi" - I'd thought it sounded like a v6, and extrapolated from there.

Reply to
Adrian

The OP said "spluttering". If you drain the fuel system, up to and including the injector pump, and put fresh diesel, is trying to see if it then runs well going to do further damage?

Reply to
Ian Stirling