Pimp my ride?

If you're into that kind of stuff, you could look at digital channel 21 this weekend. Yes, I know that it's a bit childish, but when stating from a $200 heap, not much harm can be done to the motar. However, final costs of pimping often runs into $20,000-$30,000. Results vary, but the most stunning transformation was a Ford Mustang 1957. I had to laugh when they mounted so called Lamborghini doors on an old Honda Civic heap; the front doors swing up vertically! Cost quoted as $3000. Yet I saw the same on a small supermini car outside Halfords the other day.

Reply to
Johannes

That programme has alot to answer for.

Reply to
Conor

That would be some transformation as there was no Ford Mustang 1957

Reply to
ThePunisher

Hmm, it might have been 1967.

Reply to
Johannes

I think it's fun to watch. However I did fail to understand why the UK version bothered to spend so much time, money and effort on, of all things, a D-reg Fiat Panda. Whose owner had even less personality than the car...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Certainly, the kind of people for whom they pimp their cars, are not the sort that are likely to take great care of their new ride. Probably back to square one after a couple of weeks... Another problem with doing up old heaps is that the old metal isn't very rust resistant, hence will require a bit of extra maintenance compared to newer models. This maintenance isn't very likely to happen innit?

Reply to
Johannes

For the same reason they bothered to spend money on some of that crap in the US.

Reply to
Conor

Entertainment.

Reply to
DervMan

Not really. We were modifying our cars waaaay before Pimy My Ride.

Reply to
DervMan

They also pimped a Daihatsu Hijet Microvan - pathetic!

Reply to
Johannes

Precisely. Their one saving grace was that they did a tasteful mod of that Capris bonnet. When they started going on about it, I fully expected some tosspot attempt at a Pro Street scoop.

Reply to
Conor

Yeah, modding as in modding. Not modding as in sticking stupid stuff in like fish tanks and bowling ball cleaners.

Reply to
Conor

That was to give Sooty van owners hope...

Reply to
Conor

Dude, where have you been for the last ten years?

Reply to
DervMan

I take it they don't have the equivalent to our m.o.t over there looking at the state of some of the cars they were driving, bonnets held shut with a lump of chain, lights hanging out and other assorted panels held together with gaffa tape.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Nope, just an emissions test.

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not even that in all states.

Reply to
Adrian

I wouldn't think that the 1967 Ford Mustang would pass an emission test.

Some of the cars was indeed in a state, hate to think how many points on your licence they could accumulate in the uk?

Reply to
Johannes

Yup, that's a worst case scenario.

It might given that petrol and oil quality has improved in the last thirty five years.

In Charlie's local town it's quite common to see old pickups and cars from the fifties and sixties. Most produce a relatively pitiful amount of power from an old 302 or larger V8. Many may be on their second transmission by now, most average fifteen thousand miles a year...

Yup.

Reply to
DervMan

No, it's not pathetic, it's entertainment.

Of more concern is the belief in using the biggest possible alloys... with standard brakes behind. Ewww!

Reply to
DervMan