Pinky...but not Perky

My Synergie ( 1998 1.9TD ...PSA XUD9 engine ) has just had a clutch change and is suffering a few side effects from the upheaval. It died on me when starting but that was traced to a loose earthwire on the box.

My question goes out to anybody running a Xantia,Zsara,306,406 with the same engine....... These engines always sound like a pan frying chips when they are started ( a kind of pinking noise ), but once they are up to running temp they go reasonably quite as they are indirect injection. My Synergie seems to be sounding pinky all the time even though the temperature is warm (80°C which is deliberate for a big 1.8ton MPV ).

Can this pinking noise mean a cold start mechanism isn't tripping off. Is the cold start mechanism something that increases the fueling or advances the timing ( or both )

If anyone can give me any pointers , webpages to help me out I'd appreciate it. Thx

Reply to
Ebodscki

I'm not too sure about modern diesel engines but with the older ones cold starting was improved by pumping in excess fuel. I very doubt if altering the timing just at start-up would improve things.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Also sprach "Robin Graham" :-

These days it's done with timing. Even my 87 diesel Astra did it that way - and certainly my td Montego does.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks. Live and learn.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham

Is that you Peter ;)

Reply to
MickS

Heres a few in-bay pics of the engine/pump. Can someone edit the pics and mail me back some detail on what the various multiplugs are on the pump / fuel filter body / expansion tank , and that cylindrical drum on the side of the air filter.

Also can anyone pinpoint the model of fuelpump ? Is is a Bosch ?

Ebodscki