PIRELLI-CHAMPIRO TYRES

Anyone advise me as to whether a pirelli GT tyre is the same as a Champiro ?

Paid for 2 Pirelli Gt tyres at Kwik Fit recently and they fitted Champiros

When challenged they said its a Pirelli made under licence to GT tyres in Indonesia

Anyone know if I've been done?

Cheers Guys

Alan

Reply to
Owen Shaw

You'd think they would be cheaper then...

Reply to
Mark W

Owen Shaw ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

're not owned by Pirelli, but they do make Pirelli-designed tyres under licence.

Pirelli don't make a tyre called the "GT".

Probably. It is Krap-fit, after all. If they told you "Pirelli", then I'd not be massively happy. I have no idea if these Champiros are any good, though. They may be, they may not be.

What size, what price?

Reply to
Adrian

Sounds like it. I had Champiros once many years ago - don't think there was anything particularly bad about them but they are only budget tyres (or they could have even been remoulds, I really can't remember). Either way, if you've paid for Pirellis then you expect what's fitted to be "Pirelli" not something else. Go back and complain saying you want something that says Pirelli, or a large discount. If they argue, take the receipt and tyres to trading standards and let them decide.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

If you read the side wall of the champiro you will see that the manufacture is a company called Gajah Tungal ( that's what the GT stands for) of India [1], they are the cheapest tyre I can buy. The only good thing with them is that they are so soft if you're car is ever stolen you can easily find your car by following the rubber they leave on the road. Out of interest what size and what price did you pay ?

[1] I'm sure it say's India not Indonesia on the side wall .
Reply to
Mill Autos

No it is not! It is made in Indonesia.

It's possible they are as good as or even better than Pirelli!

They are made by > Gajah Tunggal Tbk, Jakarta, Indonesia

You have in so much as they are definitely not Pirellis but if they

work well in Indonesia I'm sure they will here!

Check out >

HTH Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

You asked for a particular tyre and they fitted a different one - it does not matter whiter its an equivalent or whatever.

Some years back I had my car serviced at a VX garage (it was still under warranty)

It needed one new tyre, and was fitted with Michelin MXV (I think they were)

I knew I could get this all-in at my local Hal for £75.

So when they rang to say I needed a new tyre , I asked - what is your your price for the tyre to match the others?

They replied - £75

Are you sure it's a Michelin MXV I asked, inc valve, balance, VAT?

"Yes, the very same."

"Absolutley positive - because I always match tyres on the same axle, especially where Michelins are concerned?"

"Yes"

OK then.

Arrived to collect car - couild see tyre was not a Michelin MXV (or whatever) to match the others, but what the enginer said was "the equivalent" - (A Michelin Classic)

Conversation the was - Oh an MXV - that would have been quoted as (some 3 figure sum)

Result was - tyre removed and original replaced, trip to Halfords to get the correct tyre (as far as I was concerned) VX dealer at least made a genuine mistake and put it right.

KwikFit in my experience never make mistakes, the customer is wrong, at least with the people managing the branches last time I used them. A very long time ago I was happy to do business with them, but now -

I no longer do business with Kwik Fit.

That company's current attitude is amply demonstrated by the visit to thier web site that I have just made to check thier tyres and prices - or at least attempted. But I do not have Macromedia flash player version 7 ,

Every link on the page I can get to invokes a download of this software, so clearly once again me - the (potential) customer is in the wrong and I won't be allowed in unless I load the new software.

Reply to
Richard Murphy