Pitted CV joints.

On changing the CV boots, I noticed a certain amount of pitting on the CV outer bit/thingy. Is this likely to need changing in the very near future, bearing (!) in mind the joint is full of new grease & watertight? Can't see pitting on the spider part of the joint. The pitting on the outer part resembles cavitation damage on gear teeth, and is localised at the normally-used areas.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sounds like the surface of the outer ball runner track is flaking. If that is the case, it'll probably need replacing in the near future. Any damage to the ball tracks or balls, is not good news. The hardened flakes on the bearing surfaces will accelerate the wear, until the joint becomes noisy, and finally fails altogether. It's on it's last legs and should be replaced ASAP in my opinion. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G