Play in N/S wheel

I was just doing a little check of wheel wobble holding the passenger side

12 and 6 and there is a little play and 9 and 3 again a little play.

How much is considered a MOT failure ?

Just trying to guage if I need to change the rods and ends and balljoint beforehand.

Reply to
Thelibrarian

I was just doing a little check of wheel wobble holding the passenger side

12 and 6 and there is a little play and 9 and 3 again a little play.

How much is considered a MOT failure ?

Just trying to guage if I need to change the rods and ends and balljoint beforehand.

Reply to
Thelibrarian

If there is play in all directions, could be a wheel bearing. If you're lucky, it might be adjustable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What car front or rear drive?

Reply to
Rob

Get your head in there, and you'll probably be able to see what's moving.

If it is a wheelbearing, I'm amazed if you've not heard it long before you can feel it.

How long's a piece of string?

Steering -

et seqSuspension -
et seq

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry would have been more helpful p[osting the cars details. A mk4 golf 1.6 petrol golf, front wheel drive.

Reply to
Thelibrarian

if you have left and right AND top and bottom wheel play, then the fault will be either the wheel is loose, the hub nut is loose or the bearing is worn out. If you mean the whole lot goes in and out then look at balljoint play or worn bushes. Best bet is to just put it in for a test and see what they say.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not if they are taper adjustable bearings. Those can and do need adjusting over the miles without having failed. My SD1 has those and they're original - and have been adjusted several times. So much easier to change than some others too if they fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mk4 Golfs normally get rather noisy before the plays noticeable.

Reply to
Duncan Wood