Please help!! different garrage..different story.

Hi,

I own a Renault Clio 1.4 (1999) and started to experience an odd knocking noise from under the vehicle on the right hand side (drivers side). Every time I setoff or when I brake to stop the car, I experience 1 big knock noise. This problem was only present when setting off or stopping. Now its started to make the same noise when I do a full steering turn even when the car is not in motion.

To get this problem sorted I first went to Kwick Fit (believe me their not kwick..I was booked in for 10am and had to wait for nearly 2 hours before a mechanic was free). They told me that it could not be the CV joint as I would only experience the knocking noise if I was turning the car. But because I experience the noise when I setoff or stop..it must be the Ball joint (is this true?). So I asked them to fit a new ball joint.. They then told me I had to get the car tracking done again as it would need to be reset. So soon as they finished, I setoff. I found the problem was still there and was told I would have to make a new appointment in order for Kwick Fit to investigate the matter further in a couple of days as they were fully booked. So I wasted £55 on something that was not really required. I am a student so this is a major deal for me.

So the following day I went to MotoSave. They did the same tests and came to the conclusion that I required a new AntiRoll Bar Kit. Again, when they finished I found that the AntiRoll Kit did not fix the problem. They then told me."oh it must be your exhaust ratlin"....this pissed me off as I only got the exhaused fitted 6 months ago..

So off I went to Central Tyres where I purchased and had the exhaust fitted and got a 2 year guarantee. They inspected the exhaust and all the brackets and showed me that it was not the exhaust :( they even checked the engine mountings which was OK.

Today I visited 3 different garages, and each mechanic gave me a different story :- garage 1 says it is the Driveshaft that needs replacing.. garage 2 says its the CV Joint.. garage 3 says its the Catalytic Converter that's rattling...(definitely not going back to them as I am 100% sure that its not the cause of the knocking)..

What am I to do next? Please if there is anybody who has experienced with a similar problem or may have some advice for this problem.. I would much appreciate it if you could kindly reply.....

Any help is appreciated..

Reply to
Mali

This sort of fault can be difficult to track down. Your expenditure has hopefully eliminated some possibles. Here are some that cause similar unpleasant noises-(none of which are as frightening as the smell of burning electrics, the car filling with smoke and the central locking operating whilst visiting the lion enclosure at Longleat- it has happened!) Engine mounting, sub frame security, steering rack security, wheel bearing, upper suspension mounting, track control arm, anti roll bar, brake disc and caliper security, wheel nut security. Most of these can be checked with a big bar - to put some leverage on the various bits. Something may have broken- did you hit something hard prior to the symptoms? DaveK.

Reply to
davek

I would agree that by the sounds of it, it would seem to emanate from either the driveshaft splines or the ball joints.

Of course it could always be the strut top bearing if your car has them?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Reminds me of an old Renault 18 I owned, I had the same sort of noises and spent ages tracking it down. It turned out to be the differential bearing(s).

Reply to
Apollo

I had exactly the same symptoms on my Volvo 480 after replacing various parts of the suspension system. After much searching, I eventually tracked it down to the bolts which hold the wishbones to the suspension not being done up tight enough on one side. I'd replaced the wishbone bushes a couple of months earlier, but obvioulsy hadn't done them up tight enough. They'd been OK for a bit, but even though they felt very tight when I used a breaker bar to do them up, I obviously hadn't done them up enough, and they were moving slightly under acceleration and braking. It also made the noise when I went from full-lock to full-lock.

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

Yes, the Clio does. They're easy to change - provided you've got the right sized ring spanner to hold the top nut.

It could also be roll-bar or drop-link bushes.

Reply to
Guy King

Hi,

Thanks for replying all :)

Just got back from Uni and finally got the car fixed :) I took it to a Renault Dealers and they found that the Wishbone bolts were loose and they tightened it up and the noise went away (30sec work). The dealers usually charge £30 for an inspection but sorted the car out free of charge. I cant believe that the so called reputable garages that I visited did not spot this and I wasted nearly £200..

I have lost trust in Kwick Fit & MotoSave. Motosave is the worst as the 2 branches I visited (bradford & Wakefield) have employed people that are very young (ie 16-18) and dont really have that much experience.

Does anybody know of a reputable garage in Bradford or close by that charges reasonably? I dont no which garage to turn to next time I have a problem.

Reply to
Mali

Ben... The dealers have fixed the noise. It was the wishbone as you mentioned that needed tightening..I cants understand why the garages I visited previosly dis not spot the cause ...

Reply to
Mali

the garages used a bar to test different parts of the car.. I dont know why they did not spot that the wishbone nuts needed tightening. I took the car to the dealers and they spoted the cause of the problem and fixed it within

30 seconds free of charge. I am extremely upset that I wasted nearly £200 at Motosave and KwickFit as monety is a huge issue for me untill I get my next student grant cheque..

Reply to
Mali

In message , Mali writes

Moral of the story; ask here first! I couldn't have diagnosed your problem, although there are people here who could, but I'd definitely have advised you not to touch the fast-fit places with a bargepole. The kids most of these places employ are trained to do certain jobs, but they aren't usually what you would call mechanics.

My advice would be to find a small independent local garage run by honest people. Ask around, see who your friends use. It's just a matter of finding people you trust.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Student grants?!

Seems like you've had a lesson! They must have seen you coming from miles off.

Reply to
adder1969

So it's the customer's fault ! If a business can't be trusted for both competency and honesty, it shouldn't be trading at all.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

The one that diagnosed the fault correctly and did a £30 for free?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

To be fair, the indie fast-fit centres aren't too bad. I don't think anyone here would criticise Micheldever Tyres, for example.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The one which diagnosed the fault correctly and did a £30 job for free?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Write to the head offices of both companies, outlining the problem you had and the unnecessary work that you had done, and that you are now out of pocket as a result.

Send the letters off recorded delivery - you can track them for free on the internet.

Wait 2 weeks, then write another letter asking them why you have not had a written response.

Write to your local Trading Standards office with a copy of both all letters and see what they say.

I've had this sort of problem with Kwik Fit before - arrogant bunch in my opinion. Can't even do tyres properly in my experience. A good branch/branch manager is so rare I no longer do business with them, and they know why (as if they care)

Reply to
R. Murphy

I'm a teacher and I remember "teaching" a youth named Darren but known as Barney. Enters classroom, "Sit down please Darren". Response: "Why?" (in Kevin & Perry voice).

You've guessed it, Darren was seen after leaving school working for Kwik-Fit, which brought about a new catchphrase among our staff, "Can't get thicker than a Kwik-Fit fitter!"

Reply to
Chris Bolus

...er... in my experience it's send them off, attempt to track them but find that the tracking system has no record, discuss the problem at the post-office where they then give you a lost letter form to fill in and send off...

It's not the most optimistic view but it seems that crap-fit et al is just part of the british disease - the "give us your money then sod off" attitude. It's extremely rare in my experience to find any type of services where the people are competent and trustworthy.

The OP should have realised that after he got fleeced by the first garage, he might have been suspicious of the second, then the third, but having said that *maybe* just *maybe* the ball joint did need changing but somehow I doubt that the exhaust did especially as he said that it had already been changed not long before.

Reply to
adder1969