Please Help - Sierra 4x4 problem

Hi, I own a Sierra 4x4 (2.9i) ever since I've owned it (approx 2.5 years) about every 4 - 5 weeks it backfires & completely cuts out -& after about 10 mins or so it will re-start!. Usually I get a warning of a backfire or 2 but the other week it caught me on the fast lane of a motorway thank God there was nothing behind me - I've taken it to 2 garages who cant find the problem, has anyone have any idea what might be causing this. Is the backfiring a sign of a spark with no fuel which that could mean fuel pump on its way out or is it something to do with the engine management system which I suspect the previous owner has fiddled around with.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated as I don't know where to start!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

been there, done that

99% it'll be the fuel filter that needs changing the other 1% is that the loom going to the fuel pimp has got hot and breaks down under too much strain but that's only a very slim possibility
Reply to
dojj

My 4x4 (2.8) has got through two fuel pumps, the first symptom is a misfire or two, then it soon dies completely. On mine the pump is the same as an injection escort granada etc. so plenty in the breakers. I now carry a spare !!

  1. If you haven't already, then put a new filter on.
  2. Have a listen when you turn the ign on, if the pump is noisy or clonky then it will soon die.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hi guys, Thanks for your advice I'll replace the fuel filter & see what happens (trouble is I won't know for a month or two to be sure!) if that fails I'll try the loom.

Regards, Dave

Reply to
Dave