Polishing Scratches & Light Chips Out A Windscreen?

I have some light scratches on the passenger side of my windscreen, looks like some were caused by a wiper blade failing, there's some others a bit higher up which might have been trapped grit. I also noticed when cleaning the screen today it's covered in tiny chips.

I don't really want to fork out for a new screen (plus rubber as it's a 70s car so not bonded, and on the original rubber) and fitting, and don't much fancy doing the insurance job. So I was wondering what it'll take to polish these marks out? I have Brasso and toothpaste, but I don't have the get up and go to bend over the screen with a bit of rag all day long! I've got a cheap electric bodywork polisher, I was wondering if I could use that with some form of polish to do the job, or failing that what should I be looking to buy? Frosts seem to have a kit that comprises of some polishing powder and a pad for an electric drill - Don't fancy mail order as I'd like to get it done asap, so are these sorts of pads (and a decent polish) available off the shelf anywhere?

Not only do I have an MOT to worry about (although the car passed the last one like this, along with failing suspension, seatbelts etc as I discovered after I bought it) but the sate of the screen might explain the horrendous glare from oncoming traffic at night!

Reply to
Stuffed

"Stuffed" wrote

. So I was wondering what it'll take to polish

That will do, as will T-Cut which is the same thing. Toothpaste is good for removing road film but won't get scratches out.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

So what's the options? Hours by hand, or some sort of leccy aid? I have a small Dremel type thing, the electric polisher (I presume it'd be the compound type head, not the buffing one), or should I get the right pad for the drill? Also just checked, and it's some cheapo Brasso-alike I have, but hopefully it actually does have the same basic ingredients...

It's a bit too cold out there to be spending too long on the job!

Reply to
Stuffed

Glass is very hard stuff. Jewellers' rouge might work with a power polisher.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

"Stuffed" wrote

Personally I would prefer to do it by hand, to be on the safe side. As you say its a 70's car, its probably worth doing properly, if you have kept the car running this long. What type of car is it?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Heres a page that might help- its an American product but something similar should be available here and there's a good step-by-step guide to method-

Knight Of The Road