Possible tyre size change

Hi all,

My L reg Nissan Primera (tyre size 175x70x14) has been a great car from the day I owned it (4 years ago), but the tyres have 32K on them.

My dad's L reg Rover 214 (tyre size 175x65x14) has has been a piece of crxx from the day he owned it (6 years ago), and is about to go to its funeral. The tyres (Michelin) have about 10K on them.

As such, the Rover's tyres are available for about £25 ??? fitting.

If I plan to keep the Primera for say 2 more years, is this a wothwhile swap ?

According to my calculations, the diameter would decrease by 65/70, hence 70 mph on the speedometer would appear as 65mph.

Am I being stupidly cheap by even thinking of doing this ?

TIA.

JohnBoy

Reply to
JohnBoy

Sorry, I meant 70mph on the speedo would actually be about 65MPH.

Reply to
JohnBoy

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

He doesn't say those tyres have been on it all that time.

Reply to
Adrian

Ahhh, good point. Mis-read it.

They're still 10k miles old, though. I'd be well into my 2nd set of fronts at that mileage.

Reply to
SteveH

JohnBoy ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not quite that simple.

The 65 and 70 are the profile (sidewall depth), as a %age of the tread width.

So the total circumference of each tyre is (175 x profile) x 2 + (14 x 25.4) x pi

The speed that previously showed as 50mph would now read 51.5mph.

In theory, acceleration will be a bit sharper, top speed a bit lower, and the car a bit thirstier, as you'll be revving higher.

In practice, it'll make next-to-no difference.

Theoretically, there might be a bit more grip and a bit sharper handling, but since you've been happy with an L reg Primera for four years and reckon it's a "great car", you probably won't notice that, either...

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, well, we've been here before, haven't we?

Reply to
Adrian

My experience with a J-plate Primula was that they handle very well, but don't provide quite enough feedback for my liking. Although I don't think the OP has a problem in this respect, managing to get a pair of fronts (I assume) lasted him 32k miles.....

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry again. Another mistake - too many Heinekens. I forgot to add the tyre diameter to the 14" wheel diameter. The speed discrenecy will be much less than 70 (indicated) = 65 (actual); probably more like 70 (indicated) = 68 (actual). By the way, they have been rotated every 10K, so wear is about even. And yes, the Primera is, and has been a great car (for the money).

Cheers - time for another Heineken.

Reply to
JohnBoy

The level of feedback is entirely down to the front tyres' sidewall flex on a Primera, especially the early Primeras with stiffish springs. I found that Continental Premium Contacts made for zero understeer and sharp steering with very good feedback, but softer tyres like Uniroyal Rallye 540s were comfy, quiet and had enough grip but gave much less feedback. It also handles differently to most cars and needs getting used to, i.e. the steering is much heavier in the straight ahead position than in turns so can feel 'dead' if you're only cruising around, the harder it's pushed the better it gets.

Reply to
SteveB