Power Bulbs Power Plus

Hi there.

Anyone with practical experience with

's inhouse brand?

I'm looking for a fresh set of bulbs for my Xantia II and the 2 for 1 price and the promising words sounds good to me.

Anyone who tried the "Power Bulbs: Power Plus" or Power Bulbs: Power Blue"?

Reply to
Hans Pedersen

The message from Hans Pedersen contains these words:

Blue bulbs are a seriously bad idea. They work by filtering some of the red light out - which makes red cars and the like harder to spot at night. Silly idea.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Now, what else is red? Could it be... reflectors on the back of cars?

Reply to
Adrian

Don't be fooled by all the adverts manufacturers and places like D***n

*w***s advertising really bright bulbs. The so called high output or super bright or cool blue are nothing like they claim. They are NO brighter than a normal bulb, maybe just a slightly different colour. Some are terrible to drive with as they don't show the road up, or certain signs. I got some from Halfords about 6 years ago and after about 30 mins had to stop and change them back. The best bulb for the car is the one the manufacturer recommends. For a bulb consuming 55w to be brighter or equivalent to one consuming 100w it has to be running at a higher temperature. So they will fail faster anyway. In practice you would never achieve that - it's just clever sales marketing aimed at the immature little boy racers with the 1litre engine and dustbin exhausts. They buy anything to look like a total idiot with their baseball cap tracksuit clad friends! Some shops claim that a 55w bulb can give off the same light as HID. Again, many people believe it and pay up to £65 per pair. Put them side by side and they don't look anything like HID. Save a fortune, buy some cheap bulbs from the manufacturer. The only car I have driven that had bright headlights was in Germany, that had 110w ones. A lot of boy racers will plug bigger bulbs in and forget to change all the wiring and fuses!
Reply to
Ian

Hehe, I was really entertained reading your answer. :D I can tell you that we've also got those streetracing punks here in Denmark, driving old and rusty VW Golf II.

Anyway, I've really felt a difference between a pair of Phillips Longer Life and a pair of Philips Vision Plus H7-bulbs in my last car (a Peugeot 106). The colour was the same, but the Vision Plus was much brighter and with a longer and more precise lightbeam.

There is a significant difference between good and bad bulbs even at the same effect i Watts.

Reply to
Hans Pedersen

Drain Awakes? Drown Sweeps?

Reply to
Malc

I bought a set of the Power Bulbs from them, 3 years on still going strong . Don't bother getting the blue ones just get the Power Plus type they have very good light output.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Actually, they are brighter. I've used Philips Vision Plus and Osram Silver Star in the past and there is a significant difference. However, as you point out, because they are running brighter, their lifetime is less. I found myself replacing them every 4 months on average, which clearly wasn't cost effective even though they did make all the difference on dark country lanes. I've switched to 30% brighter bulbs now to see if they last longer. The blue ones, I have never tried, and would tend to regard as gimicks.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Ian" saying something like:

Many/most of the claims can be taken with a pinch of salt, I agree, but there are some that actually do produce more useful light output for the nominal 60W consumption.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I fitted a set of "Extreme Daylight" bulbs to my Scenic (didn,'t buy them from this company). They are blue tinted and give off lovely crisp light, the only problem is that the don't seem to light up the road as well as the bog standard bulbs which were originally fitted.

Claims that they improve visibility are probably true from the point of view of other road users, but since most of my driving takes place on dark country roads in the north of Scotland and I would like to be able to see where I am going!!!

I'll be re-fitting the original bulbs as soon as I can.

CK

Reply to
CK

The message from "CK" contains these words:

Well done. Wise /after/ the event isn't as good as before - but it's better than persevering with something that doesn't work just 'cos you've spent money on them!

Reply to
Guy King

Sod's law that things wouldn't go easy!!

After refitting the original bulbs this morning, switched on the lights to check that everything was okay only to witness the death of one of the side lights!!!

Had to refit the blue bulbs untill I get into town for a spare set!!

Last time I play "Pimp my People Carrier"!!!!

CK

Reply to
CK

The message from "CK" contains these words:

Pink fur seats aren't a good move with two sticky kids in the back.

Reply to
Guy King

Halogen lamps do age. But some of the better modern types like vision plus do give a higher output than standard ones - not difficult when you consider the efficiency of these sort of lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To relieve the problem of sticky kids, I was going to go for the remove the back seats, fit a jacuzzi & minibar, and to finish off, install a disco ball between the twin sunroofs!!

Not too sure the wife will be too impressed with the idea though.

Welcome to the sensible family car club!!.

Reply to
CK