Power steering disaster

Trying to replace all power steering hoses on a 1999 M5. Problem with the one between the power steering pump and the servotronic unit.

At the pump end it is a 22mm banjo bolt, and it was tough to move. In fact, I had to get the breaker bar out. I got it moving, but after a couple of turns, it didn't /feel/ right.

I took a close look and, the banjo bolt was turning but the fitting in the pump, that the banjo bolt screws into, was turning with it, and was actually unscrewing from the pump. You can see what I mean on

To illustrate, the power steering pump is number 1 on that diagram and the fitting on it that was turning is about an inch up and to the right of the actual number 1.

It had unscrewed about 1-2 mm before I realised what was happening. I screwed it back up tight, but now I'm nervous. Am I likely to have broken the power steering pump?

Reply to
TD

Oops. I mean:

TD

The threaded bit that hex nut "10" goes onto ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I don't know but, if you have, I can recommend these people:

Just needed a new power steering pump for my Nissan QX but they didn't have one in stock so they sent a courier for my own pump, refurbished it, 2-year warranty and couriered it back for £179

John

Reply to
John

Er, no. Look at the actual pump (part "1")...

Actually I realised it would be quicker to draw an arrow on the bit that I started to unscrew.

You can't see it there, but the banjo bolt screws into the middle of that nut. See the left end of hose 5 at
Is that clearer? Have I broken the pump?

Reply to
TD

I don't think so. IMO that part is simply an adaptor. Needs to be held with a spanner, so it doesn't unscrew with the banjo. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

My local shop! Not the cheapest, but knowledgable and reliable, and vast stocks of NOS for older/classic cars. Top notch.

Reply to
asahartz

You reckon? It was bloody hard to turn, that's for sure. I could always try and remove it to see if it is an adaptor or more, but that might be a can of worms.

Yes. Yes it does.

Reply to
TD

FX :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Have I broken the pump?

I really doubt that, but I see little point in removing it just to find out. If it's that stiff to turn, it's probably not supposed to turn if the banjo bolt is removed. I'd guess some sort of 'screwlock' was used when it was originally fitted, which would make it "bloody hard to turn" As far as unscrewing or removing the 'adapter' causing damage, I think that's highly unlikely. At worst it might leak. In that case it would have to be removed and refitted with hydraulic sealant.

If I were doing the job, I'd hold the 'adaptor' remove the banjo bolt, then retighten the adaptor. I wouldn't have the slightest concern about it affecting the performance of the pump. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It may have a pressure relief valve below it (judging from the picture) which will probably just be a plunger and a spring, but just do it up tight and forget it. If it leaks afterwards then remove it and clean and seal it (watching for the spring when you undo it).

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My thoughts are that the pump may not be made specifically for the car.

IIRC banjo unions, and high pressure hose fittings do not use std pipe threads, (BSP, NPT etc) so an adaptor would be needed if the pump ports had std pipe threads. IME std pipe threads, such as those mentioned are common for the port threads of hydraulic pumps, valves, manifolds etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I suspect very few things like that are car specific. Probably much like superchargers etc. A few people make them and you can get them with different casings etc...

Reply to
Doki