Power steering fluid

Does the fact that it's black point to nasty things having gone on or is it just due a change for nice new fluid?

Volvo 740 IIMAD.

How is it changed, btw? Suck it out wiv a straw?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Black isnt good really. As a rough guide change it every 60-80k.

I usually slacken a convienient hose and position a container below, start the motor and let is slowly pump out, as you periodically pour fresh into the reservoir until it runs nice and red.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The message from "Tim.." contains these words:

That won't change the fluid in the rams - only in the reservoir, pump and valve block. You should also turn the wheel from lock to lock at the same time to flush out the considerable quantity otherwise lurking.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't like saying it, but black PS fluid doesn't sound very nice at all. Sounds like something is wearing out. IME it should never get very noticeably dirty. As for changing the fluid and flushing out the old, like Guy says. Twiddle the steering as well. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ok, thanks all.

Si