Power steering leak after hitting pothole?

The car is a 1995 Audi A6 2.6l

On the way to the garage to have the brakes done, I hit a water-filled pothole at about 20 mph. It knackered the front N/S tyre but otherwise no other damage was immediately apparent.

When the car was on the ramp, it became evident that there was a slight leak of some kind and it looked like mineral hydraulic fluid.

Is there any way that hitting a pothole could precipitate something like this or is it merely coincidental? When the car was bought in September the level of the PS fluid was hovering near minimum already and was slightly below minimum when at the garage.

And if there is a leak in the PS rack, is it most likely to be evident after a turn on full lock?

thx in advance for any hints.

Victor

Reply to
Victor

When the wheel is at full lock, the power steering system is under maximum pressure, so if there is a leak anywhere it will be more obvious at this point, as the fluid will be making it's best attempt for liberty.

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-man

The message from Victor contains these words:

Sounds like a pre-exisiting condition - PAS fluid shouldn't really do down noticeably. I suppose it's possible for a pothole to damage the pipework if it's not well arranged, but it'd have to be deep enough to allow the car to ground!

Reply to
Guy King

PS systems in good condition don't lose oil, so if the level was low when you baught it, I'd say it's had a slight leak for some time. I can't see hitting a pothole having anything to do with it.

Not after. During. If you wanted to find the leak, I'd suggest cleaning all the pipe unions, then with the engine running, carefully examine each one with the wheel held at full lock. After checking on one lock, repeat the check on the other lock. Make sure to turn the wheel so the pressure relief valve is in operation. Easily heard by the noise coming from the PS valve chamber. Pressure within the system is at it's maximum in this condition. Check the rack end seals at the same time, but my guess is that the leak is more likely to be a weeping pipe union, as it doesn't appear to have got noticeably worse since you've had the car. If a union is at fault, a slight tighten might be all it needs too cure it. OTOH you could try a dose of a proprietary PS leak stopper. AFAIK Halfords stock it. If the leak wasn't immediately obvious after checking the unions etc, that's what I would do. You've nothing to lose, and for small leaks it does seem effective. It worked on a small leak I had in an auto box. It still doesn't leak, even though it's been some years since it was put in. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

probably pulled a little too hard on the rack and knackered an already close to the limit seal poke a hole in the steering bellows and see if fluid comes pissing out of it if so, you need a new rack

Reply to
dojj