Powering a laptop via the cigarette lighter socket while the engine is switched off.

I have a Vauxhal Corsa 1.2. I want to be able to power a laptop via the cigarette lighter socket while the engine is switched off.

I have an ac/dc converter thing that works fine and powers the laptop perfectly.

However to get the cigarette lighter to work I have to have the car ignition switched on, either have the engine running or not running but all of the dashboard icons/lights on.

Running the engine while parked is a waste of fuel, etc.

My question is: Am I in danger of causing problems to the vehicle's electronics if I switch the car ignition on and leave it on for (maybe) an hour or so at a time without starting the engine, in order to power the laptop? Car battery life withstanding.

It would be quite simple to use a separate car battery with a standalone cigarette lighter socket so that I could plug the ac/dc converter in but I don't know where to get a cig'socket on its own.

Reply to
psb154

branches all over the country

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in news:1dudnYvgo8fKHGnfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

Alternatively, just run a new feed from the accessory circuit to the existing socket. Re leaving the ignition on: if it's a modern car with fuel injection, there should be no problem, as the coil(s) will not energise unless the engine is being cranked. I'm not absolutely sure though, so wait for another reply. Plenty of people on here with more knowledge of EFi systems than me :-)

Reply to
Stu

Poundland do a 4 way lighter socker on a bit of wire with a plug attached ... for a quid ! Cut off the plug, and connect to any live point under the dash, that doesnt need the ignition on ... and you've got a few spare sockets too ! .... Did I say for a quid !

Steve

Reply to
Nat

Reply to
Duncanwood

Whilst not an answer to your specific question I would recommend using a DC/DC converter to power your laptop rather than DC/AC(inverter)-AC/DC converter (I assume you are using an inverter?) as there's little point in introducing unnecessary losses, particularly where battery conservation is important.

One such device can be had for =A320 at:

Of course an inverter may be useful for other applications, and indeed you have already purchased it!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

"Mathew J. Newton" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yes, this is a far better solution. You can get the socket to power up on position 1 (i.e. accessory circuit) of the ignition switch by running an extra wire in. Get an auto electrician to do it if you're not sure and you don't like leaving the ignition on. In any case, dont run the laptop for long without the engine running as they use a surprising amount of energy and may drain your battery! My advice would be to buy the adaptor from Maplin, charge your laptop on the move from the cig lighter, then run it off it's own battery whilst on the job.

Reply to
Stu

Yeah, you wouldn't want wires tangling up in the process of using the laptop whilst on the job.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"AstraVanMan" wrote in news:HDLJe.15971$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net:

Shouldn't be a problem if you get it in the right position ;-)

Reply to
Stu