preheating warning light

I have a 51 plate renault clio diesel. The other day after my car had started the preheater light came back on. This happened for a few days and then the preheater light didn't come on at all cause the car not to start.

I went and got new glow plugs and was only able to change one, (the other three are going to be a nightmare). I tried the car and the preheating light came on so the car started. The next time i tried however the preheat warning light didn't come on and the car would not start.

Im unsure if this is a problem with glowplugs or the relay can anyone shed some light on this.

Reply to
carmichael_wendy

It's not the glowplugs, they have no effect on the actual control or timing etc. of the relay.

Sounds like a problem with the relay, the connector to the relay, or the wiring. I've had similar before on a Citroen AX and it turned out to be a broken wire near the connector making intermittent contact.

I'd suggest you locate and remove the relay, clean up and visually check all the connections, carefully (visually) check the connector and the wiring loom for damage or breaks, then reinstall the relay and see if your woes go away. If they don't, replace the relay.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

This bit of your post doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I think it's unlikely to be anything to do with the glowplugs. A 51 plate car probably has an engine that requires little or no pre-heating unless it's really really cold.

Some vehicles use the glowplug light as the ECU warning light.

Some more detail might help. When it won't start, does the starter turn the engine and it doesn't fire or does nothing happen at all?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They concievable could have - if one has gone short, and blown the glow plug fuse, if it's upstream of the relay/indicator.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You're not going to be able to rule out the other 3 glowplugs unless you change them. Why did you buy new ones anyway if you didn't know they were broken?

Reply to
john

Hi there,

The car still sounds really health but doesn't fire. the relay sounds like it is making a clicking noise.

Douglas Payne wrote:

Reply to
carmichael_wendy

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. The problem was infact corrosion on the relay. Once this was replaced the car was running good as new.

thanks

Vim Fuego wrote:

Reply to
carmichael_wendy