Primera ABS fault

Please help!

The ABS in my '93 Nissan Primera has started to play up. Usually the ABS light will come on and the car brakes normally (I'm guessing the ABS is deactivated when the light comes on?)

Sometimes when I start the car, the ABS light will go off as normal, but every time I brake, the ABS kicks in. The ABS pounds the brake even if I'm doing walking speed and gently rest a foot on the pedal.

The car is barely worth the cost of repair, certainly not worth the cost of having a Nissan Dealer sniff at it. Is the car safe to drive in this state, and will it fail an MoT with faulty ABS?

I have little mechanical knowledge, but would a faulty sensor cause this? Is there any way I can find out an error code as to what is wrong? If all else fails, is there a way to defeat the whole ABS setup and go back to 'normal' braking. Would a car that originally had ABS pass an MoT if the whole system is defeated?

Thanks for any advice, John

Reply to
Woof

You can disable ABS by pulling the fuse, but that doesn't say there isn't a hydraulic or mechanical fault with your brakes.

Reply to
John Egan

It can just be muck on the stepped ring the ABS sensor reads wheel speed from.

Reply to
Steve B

You've almost certainly got a faulty ABS sensor

Not if it's kicking in when it's not needed but pulling the fuse would cure that. The Nissan dealers not going to be worth it but as it's almost always a faulty sensor any back street garage should be able to fix it.

Reply to
DuncanWood