Primera misfire

More help needed with my primera please.

Car: 2000 Primera 1.8 (engine code QG18DE)

Engine check light was flashing intermittently while driving and engine missing. Engine check light became continous. I tried to read engine fault code using the 'bridge the two contacts in the plug and count the flashes' - either I did it wrong or there's no code - looked like '0000' to me. Light then went out after trying to read codes again.

Engine still missing - obvious at idle and when pulling away. Light flashing. Changed spark plugs - number 3 smelld of petrol so reckon this is the missing one. (plugs needed changing) Drove around to test, same problems, missing, light flashing intermittently before coming on constantly. Car has 4 individual 'coil on plug' units, are these known failure points?

Where to look next? Or get it to the garage?

Cheers,

Jez

Reply to
jezclear

Could be a fault coil pack on plug 3 maybe ?

I know on mk4 golf they are common failsure, I know nothing of you car though.

But I thought it worth mentioning about the coil pack.

Might be worth getting a diagnostic scan done just to make sure you've got the right suspect jez.

Reply to
Sarah

You could always swap no.3 plug coil with another and see if the problem follows that coil...

Reply to
Mark W

Usually that will be a broken sparkplug, lead or lack of HT. So if your car is fitted with individual coils, it is likely to be one of them or whatever is sending a signal to it to fire. Check the connections closely. Get another from a scrapyard and then you will be able to test it.

Reply to
Ian

No time to look myself, wife took it to local garage today. New coil pack on number 3 sparkplug, codes cleared and running sweet again. Don't ask how much (nissan main dealer part apparently).

Thanks for all replies

Jez

Reply to
jezclear
[...]

Nope, pattern ones available.

40UKP on eBay.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nissan dealers are expensive.

Reply to
grape

Not true unless they're parts that rarely fail. Service type items cost much the same as pattern parts in Halfords for instance.

Coil packs fail regularly on all cars, they're a stupid idea (speaking as a high voltage electronics engineer). Too small, too hot, I estimate a failure rate of about 200 times more than the bigger old-type off-engine mounted oil filled coils..

Reply to
Steve B

Non-OEM coils can be had for 40UKP. I wonder how much the OP paid?

Modern cars with a remote coil or coils need regular HT lead replacement; if this is not done, lead breakdown will cause the coil to fail as well.

Pretty much a no-win situation, really.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How about a diesel?

Reply to
Ben C

No thanks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

One on the wiefs gold cost £25 inc vat and a genuine part from vw themselves. Dealers aren't as expensive sometimes as we all think. Although many times are the devils themselves.

Reply to
Maxi

An OEM Renault Megane pencil coil cost me £45 recently.

Reply to
Steve B

And showers of bastards...

Ok it was a sort of aftermarket part I bought for my primera, to fit a standard ISO radio.

Doesn't fit properly, keeps coming out, badly made. Nissan say it's a low cost part so they don't care. Nissan reckon the car is nearly eight years old so they don't care about parts and keeping your car on the road.

So this ise economy is it? This is green is it? Maximum life of a car is eight years old?

Reply to
Simon Dean