Prising out the brake servo vacuum hose...

I'm presently replacing valve stem seals and HG on my Punto MK 2 (8v). So I'm likely to post a few daft questions over the next week.

I've followed the Haynes manual in the process of removing the inlet manifold. I've completed all steps but one:

"Prise out the grommet and disconnect the brake servo vacuum hose from the front of the servo unit."

Sounds simple enough, there is only one hose going to the inlet manifold from the brake servo unit, I guess this is what it's talking about. This appears to be a cap with inbuilt hose, under that appears to be a spacer and under that a foam type washer.

I don't mind this being a project car, but I'd rather not create my own problems. I don't see any locking mechanism or any easy way to release this hose. It talks about prising out a grommet, but I don't see anything other than what I've described above. I've gingerly tugged at the cap/hose on the brake servo unit, but it didn't budge.

Any suggestions to what must be a stupidly simple question?

As for the rest of the job, it seems to be going well so far. But it sounds like there are 8 potential ping-f**k-it moments coming up next weekend.

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The front of the servo unit is not on the inlet manifold....

Reply to
moray

Just re-read your post! (I'm a bit tired!)

You'll need to gently prise the hose out of the grommet using one or two big flat bladed screwdrivers. The cap thing you're on about is a one-way valve, which is so the servo holds maximum vacuum, when the inlet manifold vacuum is less.

Reply to
moray

I know it's a daft question. But this part looks well and truly fixed to two expensive looking components, thought I'd ask before I started prising with screw drivers.

The hose is pretty much welded to this cap that goes into the brake servo unit. It also looks pretty well attached to whatever it's attached too at the inlet end. So prising and snapping looks expensive at either end.

I'm assuming that the grommet is the spacer between the cap and the foam washer type thing on the brake servo unit. So I'm guessing I have to prise both the cap and the spacer/grommet (if that's what it is) out of the brake servo unit. So the cap with the hose probably has a hose on the other end that goes deeper still into the servo unit. I should be able to disconnect the whole system from there.

I hate steps like this. A brief description, no pictures, an assumption of competence and an expensive amount of force required.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

the elbow bit can be easily pulled out of the grommet on the servo

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well I'm going to give it a try this weekend. The question is do I prise out the grommet, or the elbow bit from the grommet? Haynes says prise out the grommet. Reg Vardy must be rubbing his hands together as I type ;)

Regards,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

The rubber bit stays in the servo. a quick spray of wd40 while you waggle the connector will help it to come out easily

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nothing to it really. I was expecting a hose behind the cap, instead it was just a plastic plug that took a bit of prying.

The head comes off tomorrow!

Regards,

Tim

Reply to